The click of death.......

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: The click of death.......

Post by a nameless entity » Tue May 27, 2014 11:09 am

Just for the heck of it, I put the drive back into my PC this morning. It booted up fine, and acted as if the drive had never been gone. So I got to work immediately and started burning my digital photographs to cd that I had not yet gotten around to backing up. I rescued 566 MB of photos before the drive started clicking again. I was able to finish burning the folder I was backing up just before everything went bad and I had to shut down.

So now I really want one of those usb external drives for an IDE hard drive for sure. Maybe, just maybe, I can coax more data off of that hard drive by repeating the process I used to get it going again at least temporarily. And I won't have the bother of opening up the case on the PC repeatedly, who knows how many times. :idea:
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue May 27, 2014 10:06 pm

You gotta do what you gotta do. Don't lose data. keep copying off even slowly if you must. Good job!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Dragon

Post by Dragon » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:00 am

I have a 120 GB HD which will be available.
I am putting in a 500 gb in a dell my buddy gave me. If it don't work he gives them to me to me. by the time i fix it he has a new one. So he says keep it.
I'm going to give the dell to my wife so she can have her own computer to use.

So if anyone wants a 120 gb hd
please let me know.
NEW==> http://www.thereddragonsite.com

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:28 pm

I bought a WD "My Passport" external usb sata(?) drive last summer to use as storage space for my system. I don't know if leaving it permanently hooked up to the PC and always ON while the PC was running is bad for one of those things or not, but it seemed fine all these months.

But this morning when I booted up the PC it couldn't find my usb drive D, which is the My Passport drive. Then I started getting the same sort of click of death sounds out of the WD passport that I had gotten from my old WD internal hard drive. The self diagnostics wouldn't run due to a "missing partition"; but oddly enough, the software wanted to update itself. So I let it do that. For some reason the shortcut icon for WD Drive Utilities disappeared from the desktop afterwards, but the PC could see the drive. But then a quick diagnostic failed.

Then I dragged the icon under the start menu for the drive utilities onto the desktop and copied it there. I ran the quick diagnostic again, and it failed again. I looked at this and that, then tried the quick diagnostic one last time. And it passed. :?

So I'm not sure what the hell happened. The other night a process called mbam.exe (malware bytes anti malware) didn't shut itself off properly during shutdown, and the PC was on all night and the next day until I noticed that it was still running. I'm wondering if that error could have trashed the drivers on my C drive for WD My Passport.

I've got a lot of stuff backed up and stored on that drive, with nowhere else to put it. I'm going to lose just about everything if a full diagnostic doesn't repair or sequester any damaged tracks due to this weird click of death event.
Damn. :roll: :? :(

A bit later:

Well a few more tries at quick diaganostics failed, then I got a pass again. But a full diagnostic would always fail. -But what is weird is that since the clicking stopped, the drive acts as if nothing ever happened.

So to be safe(r) I burned some important files that would fit onto a cd.
And then when I found some more to move to a cd, my burner freaked out and wouldn't burn any more files. To top off that scare I had put the wrong cd into the burner and could have lost all my digital photos from 2003, if the burner had made the cd unreadable. Luckily the ordinary optical drive can see the images okay. *whew*

Damn, this is one flakey PC. Maybe the problems are really in the O/S?

Whoa, this is ugly. There are now 3 folders in documents and settings that call themselves Administrator, and one that calls itself Owner. And there are shadowed folders in them called "Nethood" and "Printhood". What? I'm livin' in the "hood" now? :o
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Strictly speaking, unless you are constantly accessing the external drive it should not be on all the time (unless you changed it in the Windows power settings).

The Passport drives come with "WD SmartWare" is this what you are using ?
That tool is more aimed at backups than fixing your drive.
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/
Have you installed the "SES driver" to access the advanced features of the drive ?
(seems they recommend people install it, even if they do not intend to use it).
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/det ... /a_id/5419

As in my post yesterday, I will remind you to use "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic"
http://support.wdc.com/product/download ... =3&lang=en
SMART tests do not care if the drive has any partitions, as they read the RAW tracks.
Short test will find errors, but the long test will fix errors.

:idea: Again, and I cannot stress this enough.
:arrow: Everyone (yes you too) MUST find a SMART tool they are happy to have running all the time.
Your drives will have been screaming at you for help, but if you do not have anything running that can notify you, then you only find out when the drive fails :(

Extra smaller tools
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3709&p=42002#p42002
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]