10 Merlin flight formation

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
NoMoreSpam: Silver

10 Merlin flight formation

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:50 pm

This video is too good to just be added to the YouTube thread. It deserves a thread of its own. In this video you will see 10 WWII Rolls Royce Merlin engines operating all at once. You will see two Spitfires, two Hurricanes, one four engined Lancaster bomber (one of only two still flying Lancs in the whole world) and the only example of a still flight worthy twin Merlin engined Mosquito bomber. Six aircraft, 10 Merlin engines, all flying in formation. A feat that will probably never be seen again.

On a historic note, the Lancaster and the Mosquito were built here in Canada. So this means that the Rolls Royce Merlin engines used in those aircraft were most likely built under license by the Packard motor company in the USA. They were often referred to as "Packard Merlin" engines. I believe the Packard Merlins were also used in the Liberator bombers of the US army airforce. Listen the sweet music of 10 V-12 Merlins all going at once. 120 cylinders of awesome power and majesty. So cool! :mrgreen:

I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

a nameless entity

Re: 10 Merlin flight formation

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:04 pm

[Warning, long post before the YouTube links! ;) ]

I followed a YouTube suggested link last night after watching the above video again.

This is a documentary made in colour, of a typical day in 1944 on a Bomber Command airfield during WWII. This held particular interest for me, since my Dad was a navigator on Lancasters during his tour in 1943-44. Some of the small details fascinated me:

Such as having to draw a key to their own lockers that held their flying gear. On reflection the extra security makes perfect sense, since they couldn't risk just leaving those precious and expensive items in the closets of their rooms, and keys could be lost or stolen.

I took note of the whistles that the flyers wore on their jacket collars. I remember my Dad telling me what it was for when I was a boy. My mother used to use it by giving 3 sharp blasts off of the back porch when it was time for my brother and I to head home because supper was almost ready. It still hangs on the hook near the back door to this day.

My father was never a drinker, but I'll bet he was glad of the rum that was added to the tea he got after returning to base from a mission. It probably helped him to sleep off the stress.

I backed up the video a few times to get a good look at the equipment that my father used. I remember him telling me about it, and describing how it worked and helped him navigate, but I had never seen any of it.

Anyway, it's an awesome documentary. Listen carefully to the narrator, for typical British understatement is used throughout, and you could miss the important implications of what he is saying otherwise.

Short version, action sequences only:

Full version, (strongly recommended when you have the time to watch, 59:17)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-cVw7Xb ... e=youtu.be

I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Re: 10 Merlin flight formation

Post by Hook » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:09 pm

Excellent stuff here.
I am a huge WWII History buff! :wink:
I just about shed tears on that 1st video above with the 10 Merlin engines!

Another soooo cool sound are those Packard 2000 hp PT Boat engines - they had 3 of those puppies in 1 boat! (6000 hp)
NOTE: See the movie called "They Were Expendable" (John Wayne) - great sound!
I also have the original book of same name as the movie.

I gotta watch the 2nd posting's video later.
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777