They got hacked

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
NoMoreSpam: Silver

They got hacked

Post by a nameless entity » Fri May 30, 2014 1:00 am

So I did too.

I was a dumbass I suppose, but I apparently didn't take account security seriously enough back in the day.

I recently got an email from a product user forum warning me that their forum had been hacked, and that if I used the same "poss werd" for multiple accounts, then I had better scramble and change them all. I admit I use the same one for most of my discussion forums, because using a different one for each meant too many stickies or pieces of paper stored in a drawer. Well that's one thing, but using the same poss werd for my hotmail account was not too bright. When I dug through the mountain of pieces of paper in the desk drawer to see if it was the same as here, I was chagrinned to note that it was. So I changed my hotmail poss werd. Twice. It's a lot stronger now.

Checking "recent activity" was eye opening. Someone in San Francisco logged in to my account once, and someone in China logged in twice. I checked my "sent" box, and there was no foreign material in there. So hopefully no one I've ever contacted got spammed. Perhaps they were just verifying that the old poss werd was viable. Anyway, they should have more difficulty with it now.

Q: Oh, and who was it that got hacked you ask?

A: The Avast! users forum. :roll: :?
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Dragon

Re: They got hacked

Post by Dragon » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:53 pm

good that should help, but I still can smell it from here :P
NEW==> http://www.thereddragonsite.com

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:47 pm

Huh? Wha...?
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:17 pm

de Horror!

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:00 pm

I don't understand why I deliberately misspelled those two words any more, but whatever.

The mass media is once again blitzzing the air waves with reminders NOT to use the same word for everything and everywhere you go on the net.

So take my little story to heart or suffer the consequences. Truthfully. :mrgreen:

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:56 am

Some tips:

Copy and paste your details to notepad. Save on a small USB stick so you can remove it from the PC.

An alternative to complex random passwords is "pass-phrases"
eg. "imade5pancakesin10minutes"
It should be a "made-up" phrase, not a quote you could find online.
Quotes can be broken the same way dictionary cracking is done.
I can use Cornish phrases and words because it is a dead language.

An alternative to remembering or writing-down many passwords, is only remember 1 for a password plugin (this method is highly recommended by security professionals)
https://lastpass.com

Nirsoft has a load of password recovery tools. I use these to backup my passwords before re-installing Windows.
http://www.nirsoft.net/password_recovery_tools.html
(some of these will get blocked by some AV, so you may have to exclude them or disable while you backup the passwords)
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:42 pm

Thanks Dr. Flay. One of these evenings or afternoons when I'm not dog tired I'll try to start figuring out the stuff you're offering in these threads today. The plain truth is that most of it is so far over my head that you might as well be explaining it to me in Cornish. :wink: :lol: