Smart phone

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
David
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Smart phone

Post by David » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:22 pm

I know there was a topic similar to this (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1990&hilit=smartphone) but has been some time and I have been resisting it, BUT with some urging from the wife, we got some smart phones.

We have had "dumb phones" before this and I had no real problems with them. There have been some texts from family or from people that know us and we have not been able to view or receive them. My view point on cell phones is that they are phones. If I want to look something up online, I would rather use a computer.

But...We got the LG G2.
Pros
Android OS
Good brand, good reviews

Cons
Bigger than desired

I am not a smart man, but I can build a good computer. I have a little bit more knowledge about computers than my co-workers but they all seem to enjoy their smart phones and let us be honest, not all co-workers are high up there in the food chain if you catch my meaning.

I am shaking my head, trying to learn enough just to get by. Preloaded apps for messaging (but of course there are at least two messaging programs to use but which one to use) and pictures (same as above, two apps for editing/cropping pictures, which one to use?) A lot of preloaded apps or widgets that I do not plan on using. (basically a preloaded computer with bloatware)

I'm now able get my work email on my phone and that is "nice" so I do not have to check my work email at home a couple times a day like I have done for the past several years. I still feel that a phone should be a phone and if I wanted something online, the best place to access it would be through a computer.

We will see what happens. Verizon might not live up to the "agreement" that they made when I upgraded so this "smart phone" adventure might not last.
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Dragon

Re: Smart phone

Post by Dragon » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:18 pm

I have a land line thats all I got. I been thinking about a cell phone but have no need for it at this time
I am more into computers then those phones.

Besides I don't want some to track me like the goostoppo if you know what I mean. lol
BUT! I have been looking into them though, I most likely get in the near future just for the halibit.
NEW==> http://www.thereddragonsite.com

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:05 am

How do you maximize your anonimity and privacy with those things? Just how hard is it to turn off all of that data and metadata that gets sent out over those phones anyway?

Remember how the extreme religious-right would swear that we would all be bar coded or chipped some day, and that it was all the work of the prince of darkness?
Well, it looks like if any of that is true, it will be done through giving everyone a free smart phone and cheap data plan. Then "they" will know where you are and what you are thinking and doing at all times! :lol:
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Loco

Post by Loco » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:52 am

a nameless entity wrote:How do you maximize your anonimity and privacy with those things? Just how hard is it to turn off all of that data and metadata that gets sent out over those phones anyway?

Remember how the extreme religious-right would swear that we would all be bar coded or chipped some day, and that it was all the work of the prince of darkness?
Well, it looks like if any of that is true, it will be done through giving everyone a free smart phone and cheap data plan. Then "they" will know where you are and what you are thinking and doing at all times! :lol:
There is not much privacy using a Smartphone, sadly. It starts when you sign for the contract (at least if you're not using prepaid). Then, if you have Android, Google is going to want to know everything there is about you before you can start downloading apps.

So yeah, the government doesn't need chips. We've already got Smartphones.

On the plus side, you can turn off most functions of your phone, data, wifi, bluetooth, GPS.
Now, don't quote me on this since this is an assumption rather than a fact, but I think if you turn off data and wifi, no information can be sent out. Similarly if you turn off GPS your location data can't be sent out.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:27 pm

Yeah, it is too late. They already know who you are and where all of us are and what we are doing.
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:38 pm

Hermskii wrote:Yeah, it is too late. They already know who you are and where all of us are and what we are doing.
I agree with Herm,...........but "Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself".

I am sure they (whomever you wish to think they are) know enough about us from our internet searches, what we spend our money on (debit and credit card purchases), who we talk to.... and all of that.

Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?