WoW: Wrath of the Loco King

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: WoW: Wrath of the Loco King

Post by Hermskii » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:00 pm

I would give you my phone number or get yours.
One of us would call the other.
We would both in less than 1 minute set up a TeamViewer remote session.
You would grant me remote access to your PC.
We would be talking as you watched me look around on your PC.
I would ftp a group of programs over to your PC to scan your PC for malware and viruses.
Your PC would become awesome.

You would be able to disconnect me at any time and I would not be able to connect today or any other day unless as you see on the initial connection that you must click yes to allow it.

What do you say?
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:31 pm

Well I could always call you using 10 10 710 and then the number. That gives me 110 minutes anywhere in North America for 99 cents. With 3 cents per minute thereafter. Cheap. And the quality is good, because I've used those guys many times.

Remember I am a retired person, so we should work anything like this around your schedule.

I discovered that I can resume my WoW download at any time. The first time I saw the program check the files I already had. Upon my second use of the program, the uTorrent window loaded properly and I discovered that there IS a progress meter, and indications for download and upload. And other stuff. Why the window was all but blank on try #1 is anyone's guess.

What was interesting was that despite the fact that even Windows says I have 16.6 gb of the program, the progress meter was at less than 50% complete. I opened my WoW destination folder and watched as it finished getting the WoW exe file (the icon changed from plain to fancy) and new files appeared in the root folder. So I know that files are being added.

However it seems that uTorrent behaves exactly the same (at least in my case) as those old 56k download managers used to work. You would start out strong and think you'd have the large file in a couple of hours, only to find later that your d/l rate had fallen signifigantly. Restarting sometimes helped, sometimes did not.
Restarting uTorrent the other night made things worse, so I quit at about 57%. The ETA was 2 weeks and 3 days by this time. :roll:

This morning I resumed the d/l yet again, and had a terrific d/l rate. 700? perhaps 900 kbps. The ETA was just over two hours. Great! I thought. I'll go shopping this afternoon across town, and by the time I'm home at 4 or 5 o'clock I might have it all. Maybe.
Well, maybe was right. When I got home my ETA was another 8-9 hours. Then my d/l rate must have tapered way off. The ETA when I quit was back up to 1 day and 19 hours. I now have 76.8% of the program.

I have an old and slow PC, and my bandwidth is somewhat narrow, but nevertheless........I am not impressed.
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:59 pm

Fine. Call. I gave you an email and a messenger message with all of my info on it. I expect to be in all night except for the quick 5 minutes I might step out for a six pack of beer. You might wait till after 7:00 central time so I can get a nap in real quick. What time zone are you in?
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:02 pm

This post has been entirely re-edited:

Well it seems that most if not all of my problems stemmed from my being thick as a brick. I have shown such behavior before, when it comes to the "private" type of game server. Just ask Chico or Loco about the massive problems I had getting on to each of their L2 servers, only to find that most of the trouble was just me not understanding or missing something in the directions. :? :oops:

This time I was too rigidly doing what I had done before on the official WoW server, while logging in. Check out my screen shots below.

It appears that a torrent may be the only reliable way to get the game. Then after you have gotten the game, do the following steps:

First, you want to create an account. In this example I have used the name John Doe. Perhaps it would be better just to use a single word name. However, do NOT use a name for logging in that you would use to name a character in game. Therefore Hermskii for example, should NOT use Hermskii as his login name. You CAN do such a thing, but someone might guess that you've done that, and on a retail server that would be giving half your account info away right there. So just don't do it.

Next enter your password. Write it down first. Make it difficult. Pretend that it really matters because you are making a retail account. It's just a good idea to do so, especially if the server eventually gets a LOT of players on it.

Finally, enter your email address. This is NOT important for the sake of Loco's server, so just make one up. Leave the field for "The Wrath of the Lich King" alone.
Your account page.JPG
Next you want to login properly. IGNORE the request for your made up email address on the first line, and instead put your login name into that field.

Then just put in your password in the field for your password. Then hit the login button.
You should see something about "handshake" and etc and then you will be in the game.
LoginScreen.JPG
The first thing you must do is create your first character. If you know nothing about World of Warcraft, I would advise you to do some home work on the Horde vs the Alliance, and the various races available. I didn't see any option for making a Panderan character, so perhaps I just missed them, or they aren't available on Loco's server.

It might also be a good idea to ask Loco which side, Horde or Alliance is more popular at the moment, so you'll have a better chance of meeting other players. Loco can give you more individualized advice in these matters also. :)

Anyway, have fun experimenting with faces, hairstyles, and all the rest, then enter the name you want for your first character, and hit the create button. Then you can click on the name of your character in the list on the right side of your screen, and enter the world. Have fun with your newbie quests as you learn how to navigate the game's many facinating facets. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Loco

Post by Loco » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:05 am

Hey Name, I hadn't noticed you had edited your post. Kudos, very well described guide for people who struggle logging in.
I'll be honest, you were not the only one using their email to log in, so you're excused ;)

To touch on some things you said:
At the current state of the game there are four currently active players.
Myself (Locoknight, Horde)
Chico (Chicolives, Horde)
2k (Greenish, Horde)
Nameless (Deadeye/Disinterred, Horde)

Aside from that there are a few inactive players.

If you're new to the server, we all play Horde, but if you fancy Alliance then that is no problem!
You can still communicate with the Horde in the global chat. Just type /join Excalibur in the chat to get in that custom chat channel.
You can group up with Horde players as well as Alliance.

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:47 pm

Thanks Loco.

However I should have pointed out that Step #2 in your original instructions is still a very important thing to do.
Step two: Connecting to my server.
Now, you've got the client, but you need it to connect to my server [instead of an official one]. This step seems hard at first, but it's really easy, so walk with me:

The short version: go to: \...\Data\EnUS in your WoW folder and edit realmlist.wtf.
Delete all of its contents and add the following line:

set realmlist "77.250.120.101"

The long version:
Go to your WoW folder (the place where you've downloaded to), which is for me C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft

Now find the Data folder inside your World of Warcraft folder and go there.
In Data you can find EnUS, and go there.
In EnUS you find a file called realmlist.wtf, edit this with Notepad.

Now, delete all of its contents and add the following line:

set realmlist "77.250.120.101"
Remember:

1) It seems that for the moment using a torrent is the only reliable way to get the game. So use that method.

2) Once you have the game, follow the instructions for Step #2 which I have repeated here in this post.

3) Follow the instructions in my post above for creating your account and logging in.

4)In the root folder of your download you will see the file Wow.exe Right click on this file and choose "create shortcut". Cut and paste or drag this shortcut icon to your desktop.

5) Have fun playing an early version of WoW for free. :)

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:42 pm

On the off chance that someone is thinking about joining this WoW server, I should warn you of the following:

Player interest dried up and I was left playing alone waiting to see if they would come back.

Then the log in server went down, and Loco could not find out what the problem was.

It seems unlikely that the server will be back up and running any time soon, since the resident population moved on to other things. :(

So for the time being hold off on the download, but please PM Loco of your interest in playing on his server. Perhaps if there is enough interest in it again it may just reappear.

Count on me being there if it does! ;)
It was loads of fun. :)

Loco

Post by Loco » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:43 am

It is as Namey says.

Without warning, the login server encountered an unknown error I had never seen before, google was of no use and after a week of headaches I've been unable to solve it. The only fix I can still see is a complete reboot of the server (although I can probably conserve the characters in the database).

So, as said, if interest increases, I'll be happy to reboot the server.

My sincere apologies for my inexperience in this matter.

Loco

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:17 pm

I had an issue on one of my servers the other day. i had no chance to fix. That happens sometimes and total rebuilds are then required. I hate that. Sorry this happened to your server. Good luck.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Loco

Post by Loco » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:49 pm

Yeah it's a bugger.
Thanks for the support, Hermskii.

If and once interest in my server rises, I'll be more than happy to rebuild it.
Loco

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:18 pm

For me it was my UT2004 Chaos server. I doubt I could rebuild it now. It has been too long and all I recall was struggling to get it as good as it is now. It was the mapvote that made it cool yet complicated and the Chaos mod itself was hard for me to find that sweet spot when configuring it. I doubt that I'd actually enjoy having to re-research the process and do it all over again.
~Peace~

Hermskii