WoW: Wrath of the Loco King

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
Loco
NoMoreSpam: Silver

WoW: Wrath of the Loco King

Post by Loco » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:11 pm

Hi all,

My World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King private server is now live, and in this post I'll explain how to connect, but before I start, I'd like to say something:

House of Hermskii's administrator has been kind enough to allow me to write this post on his forum, even though this forum is dedicated to Unreal Tournament. Please show him your respect by not flooding his forum with WoW related topics. If there is anything you want discussed about my server, do it here. I'll be checking it often enough. And to Hermskii himself: Thank you very much for allowing me to post here!

OK. Let's move on to the big question: How do I connect to your WoW server?

Well, first of all, you'll need a client.

Step one: Download your client.

If you are willing to download a torrent, go here. I have personally tested this download, and it is virus free.
Warning: This is a no-install download. This means that you download the game at once, which is 16.9 GB. Make sure you download to the correct folder at once, since there will be, as the name implies, no installation. The download could take several hours, an overnight download is recommended.

If you are not willing to download a torrent, you can go here.
However, I have not personally tested this method! Feedback is welcome and highly appreciated.
Warning: In this guide you can skip step 4B, since we will change this in Step 2 anyway.

If both methods are no good, contact me personally via a private message and perhaps we can sort things out in another way.

Step two: Connecting to my server.
Now, you've got the client, but you need it to connect to my server. This step seems hard at first, but it's really easy, so walk with me:

The short version: go to: \...\Data\EnUS in your WoW folder and edit realmlist.wtf.
Delete all of its contents and add the following line:

Code: Select all

set realmlist "77.250.120.101"

The long version:
Go to your WoW folder (the place where you've downloaded to), which is for me C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft

Now find the Data folder inside your World of Warcraft folder and go there.
In Data you can find EnUS, and go there.
In EnUS you find a file called realmlist.wtf, edit this with Notepad.

Now, delete all of its contents and add the following line:

Code: Select all

set realmlist "77.250.120.101"
Done! On to step 3!

Step 3: Creating your account.
To create your account you must go to the website here.

Do not use your Battle.net account, that will cause WoW to prompt an update.

Once you're done, on to the last step.

Step 4: Running your World of Warcraft client.

In your World of Warcraft folder you can find WoW.exe - always use this to run the game. Do not use the Launcher, in the best scenarios it will not work. Worst case scenario is that it starts patching and you'll have to download it back all over.

If any of this is unclear, let me know!

And that's it. Welcome to my private server and I hope to see you in game!

--------------------------------

On my server all values are retail values.
The only differences right now are:
Horde and Alliance can communicate and party up. Auction House is NOT shared between Horde and Alliance, but they can trade.
You can have a maximum of 10 Professions per character.
Flight Paths are instant teleports.

-------------------------------

Since my server runs on patch 3.3.5a, most, if not all retail addons will not work as they are incompatible. You can download compatible addons here. Make sure you download 3.3.5 version addons.
If you know another source of addons for this patch, please let me know and I'll add the website to the guide.

For drop calculators you can go to OpenWoW and sometimes switch to WoWhead, but remember that WoWhead has been updated to Warlords of Dreanor, and that the world has been revamped in Cataclysm so the information may not be accurate.
Last edited by Loco on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.

a nameless entity

Re: WoW: Wrath of the Loco King

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:35 pm

But what if they wanna play Lineage with ME on your Lineage server instead? ;)

Hint for everyone: the instructions are very similar. You download the client from [wherever it is] and run the game from it in the same manner. You just ignore launcher file icon in the root folder, and find the L2.exe file in the system folder instead. Make a shortcut to it and drag the shortcut to your desktop. The last step is to make a change in your hosts file which I'm sure Loco will explain to you once he sees this reply. Hopefully he'll also tell you where to d/l the game client from! ;) :mrgreen:
Last edited by a nameless entity on Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Loco

Post by Loco » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:56 pm

A good point, Namey.

I'll include a connection guide to my Lineage II private server later when it is back up. There's no ETA yet, since I haven't found the time to reinstall my Lineage II server on the host server.
If you want to go ahead and download the client before the server is back up, you can do so here: computergames.ro/download/lineage-ii-the-chaotic-throne-high-five-client/
Right now, I'm pretty tired, so I'd like to just relax a bit this weekend.
My sleep rhythm is a mess again as well, seeing as I'm still up at this hour :roll:

Anyway, when the Lineage II server is back up, I'll edit this message and convert it into the connection guide! Look forward to it! :)

PS. I'll also still be on Lineage II regularly! Home sweet home, right?

Loco

Post by Loco » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:35 pm

I forgot to mention:

Let us know when you're there - you can join the Excalibur chat channel simply by typing /join Excalibur in your chat. The chat channel is not bound to faction and can be accessed by both Horde and Alliance.
Similarly there's our guild, named Excalibur (surprise!), which is also accessible to both Horde and Alliance.

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:48 pm

The non torrent guide you gave a link to includes the instruction to go to a certain web page and download a long list of patches. When I opened that link in a new tab, my hdd got really busy trying to do something, I know not what. And at the same time my PC made a faint error-beep sound, which is not good to hear. Also, the web page that supposedly has all of the patches on it no longer exists. You get an error page from WoW wiki instead.

So that set of instructions from that other private server do NOT work any more. :(

Edit: Hmmm it occurs to me later that the web page was perhaps trying to find my game install and automatically download the patches in the correct order hopefully, to update the game to the correct version I need.

However:

This begs the question: Can I choose "save file" with the torrent link and save the file on my portable hdd and then use that saved file to install onto my C drive? Or do I have to d/l and install directly? I'd rather not sit and watch over my PC for however many minutes/hours a torrent takes.

Loco

Post by Loco » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:35 pm

Ok well, I sadly can't edit the original post any more so I can't remove that method.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with the torrent save file thing.
But what you can do, is open uTorrent and adjust your settings so that it will download to your Program Files directly, and as I said there is no installation either. You download and then you play, hence you'll want it to download directly to program files.

Downloading the torrent file is only a few Kb, it takes seconds, and then you open that file in uTorrent and it begins the download. Once it's done, you remove it from the queue in uTorrent and open the destination folder. WoW is ready to play.

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:22 am

Okay I think I understand. And don't worry, I don't think the other method needs removal. I'm just thick when it comes to PC's, that's all. :roll:

I'm not sure IF I have torrent capability on this PC or not. I never installed anything like "uTorrent", BUT when I was uninstalling Terra I saw something about "Torrent" in the files that made me suspect that I got a form of torrent onto my PC from that game even though I chose not to install or use it in my updating preferences. :?
When I clicked on the torrent downloader for WoW in this thread, a little window opened asking if I wanted to run the file, or save it to disk. I chose cancel since I wasn't sure what to do at that point. I'll give it a try later and see if it works or not.

LATER: It still wants to save or open file with bit torrent. And it's only 181 kb in size. What's it trying to do? d/l me a copy of bit torrent first?

Btw, in your opening post the phrase "Warning: This is a no-install download" confused me, until I recalled that all I did with Lineage was to download the client, and then make a shortcut to the exe file in the system folder and play via the shortcut on my desktop. I left the game in its own folder and just dragged it to drive C and then made the shortcut. That worked fine. And I had a backup on my portable drive in case of a file corruption on C.

If anyone out there in the UT community has an ftp server, and wouldn't mind hosting around 20-25 gb in total, once I get WoW going I would be willing to upload my running WoW and Lineage game folders so that others can just get the straight goods without any other fuss and bother. :)
I'm assuming there won't be any difficulties over any exe files. If there will be I can change the extension to get around that, and then it can be changed back to exe. ;)

Loco

Post by Loco » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:07 am

To download uTorrent, go here.

Make sure you download the Stable version. uTorrent pro is a paid client that improves download speed and the sorts (haven't really looked into that since I like free stuff), and the beta is obviously still unfinished and contains bugs...

Anyway, once that it downloaded, you can simply open your turrent files with uTorrent without saving the torrent files to disk. uTorrent will then run the torrent file and that's how you download a torrent.

So, if you're downloading a torrent and your browser asks you whether you want to:
-Open File with: [program]
-Save to Disk

Always choose the first option: Open File with: [uTorrent].

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:17 pm

I may have a small group of WOW players join here in the next few days. They are loner players usually but liked the idea of having a place to chat about WOW stuff. Is that cool with you Loco and Nameless?
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:24 pm

Loco is looking for players. And I know that the more, the merrier in these kinds of games.

Warning: You may end up giving WoW players their own forum under the HOH umbrella! ;) :lol: (And Lineage II also! :mrgreen: )

In the mean time I will continue to play the part of the thick headed PC user as far as installing WoW goes. I've downloaded uTorrent and saved the 1.6 Mb exe file. I will install it onto drive C in the next few days and begin the download/install process. Hopefully.

Loco

Post by Loco » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:48 am

Hermskii wrote:I may have a small group of WOW players join here in the next few days. They are loner players usually but liked the idea of having a place to chat about WOW stuff. Is that cool with you Loco and Nameless?
Oh yes! More players would definitely be very welcome!
Right now my server's popularity is still rather low, and its players don't play often enough to actually do much. So yes, I'll welcome all the new players with open arms!
a nameless entity wrote: In the mean time I will continue to play the part of the thick headed PC user as far as installing WoW goes. I've downloaded uTorrent and saved the 1.6 Mb exe file. I will install it onto drive C in the next few days and begin the download/install process. Hopefully.
Good to hear mate, hope to see you online soon! I know 2k misses you too. Dizzy will be there sometimes, and let's hope Spygirl will find her way back again soon too. :)

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:47 am

Likely I will set up a WOW section for you here. I'll let the other folks know where to come when I have set it up. I'll move this topic into after it is built. Give me some time as I have other things going on right now too. Peace!
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Re: uTorrent

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:52 pm

I downloaded uTorrent from the link a few days ago. I finally got around to installing the program and trying it out last night.

It's not the most intuitive program I've ever used. But I got the download started. I can see my download and upload rates by hovering my cursor over the icon in the system tray. I would have preferred a nice uTorrent window that shows my rates in the window along with a nice little progress bar that shows how many per cent of the file I have so far.

As it is, I must wait forever for my PC to notice that I am hovering my cursor over the destination folder so I can see if it has gotten any larger since the last time I did that.

I am most unhappy that this program seems to be hogging most of my system resources; -all for a pathetic download rate of 30-60 kbs. Typing this report up requires the patience of Job, for the resources are so stretched that it takes forever to see what you're typing and correct errors as you go along. Getting Firefox to run took forever too.
I assume I am sharing some of my new files with others, since there is always an upload rate that almost matches my download rate at times, but is usually 1/2 or 1/3 as large.

This supposedly fast method of downloading has now been going on for 15 or 16 hours and is still not done yet. The previous record was held by the download for TERRA, which took a mere 14 hours of downloading. -I am sure I am slowing things down by filing this report too, so I'm going to shut up now and go watch TV. :roll:

EDIT: Well it's 1.5 hours later. I got pissed off and tried to shut down my PC. It was almost completely unresponsive by that time, so I forced a shut down. uTorrent was reporting that I was still downloading at a crawl right up to the last moment, BUT the file size of the folder had not increased at all for many, many hours.

I have 16.6 Gb in total, comprised of 106 files and 9 folders. Is that all of it? If not can I resume the download and pick up where I left off? If not then we are all done. I'm not trying again because:

My modem still shows near constant activity of some sort, even though I'm not doing much online at the moment. Just what the hell have I downloaded and installed, anyway? :o :? I used only the provided links.

Edit #2: I scanned my system with Malware Bytes and for the 1st time ever it found something. It found a PUP called "OpenCandy". I quarantined it and did the recommended reboot. Was that program something that tagged along with the install of uTorrent? I recall something of a similar name being one of the two things "offered" along with the program itself. But I said NO to both. Hmmmmmmm.....
One wonders if that PUP was responsible for all the weirdness? Hmmmmmm........ ??

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:08 pm

No. It is the curse. You should not be having all of these issues. you need me to log and look around and send over scanners and such to take care of and clean up your PC. You also don't want your utorrent speeds to match up. You want all download and as little as possible upload. You also want to down load your stuff but you wanted to be downloaded in a Encrypted state. How big is this game? I thought you already had it too by the way? This must be your legal offsite backup.

I can create a legal offsite backup of something like we'll say a 1.5 gig movie in about 20 usually. Don't google it but I suspect "You're doing it wrong"
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:10 pm

The game is about 10.9 gb in size. I got around 10.2 or some such very quickly (within a few minutes) but didn't believe that number for a second. I expected an overnight download to get the rest and all those gigs I probably didn't really have, but over 15 hours is ridiculous.

What I want to know now is if I can resume the download or not?

And thanks for the offer to look around at this mess of a tired old PC, but why should you blow an entire weekend afternoon trying to fix the terminally broken?
I just want to run this thing into the ground the same way you do an old car that is getting tired and not worth a dime as a trade in.

Edit: Okay, let's say that just for fun I let you in and you have a look around. How do I talk to you while you're working (and shaking your head as you shiver in horror) ? I'll want a chat window of some sort so we can communicate.

p.s. We best do this thing, if we do it at all, when you've just returned from confession at church. That way the demons released won't affect you. ;)