Weather

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Weather

Post by Hermskii » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:14 pm

OK, this is starting to suck a little. It feels like that the last several weekends since before Thanksgiving we have had this perfect cycle of weather. It goes about like this:

Monday through Thursday is dry and clear.
Friday it clouds up and it rains a little.
Saturday and Sunday it is totally overcast and rains even more.
Repeat.

This is really starting to piss me off.

Here is the forecast for this week:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Re: Weather

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:12 pm

I understand the frustration of it falling only on the weekends. But I thought you needed rain down in Texas and in the south west?

Up here it is just over a year since the great ice storm messed things up for weeks and weeks. During and after the storm my brother's place around the lake lost no power at all. I lost power for six hours, got it back for 20, then lost it for about another 45 minutes. Toronto which is only 25 miles east of me got hammered. My nephew and his wife's apartment was without power for days. Some people lost it for weeks. You could be in the dark and freezing for all of those weeks while just across the way a neighbourhood had power back quickly. It was just that crazy a situation. Repair crews from all over Canada and parts of the USA were here working for all of those weeks trying to catch up amid all of the downed trees and powerlines. Then we had another ice storm later on, which didn't do as much harm as the first, but added a few more inches onto the ice layer we already had on the ground. What a mess when it all melted in the Spring.

This year we had a green xmas. And warm temperatures with rain. Funny huh?
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:31 pm

We got down into the 50's if I recall for Christmas. i hate the cold. i hate snow. I hate rain except once a week on Wednesdays. lol.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:48 am

Hey look!!!

Oh wait...

That is basically just the same thing AGAIN.

Great weather most of the "work week" until just before the weekend and look what starts to show up:

The damn rain AGAIN!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:47 am

We were in danger of another ice storm. But it skipped us and landed north and east of here. Northern Ontario and Quebec got hammered this time.

Here is the latest weather forcast for my area. I used the convert button to put the readings into fahrenheit for you. (But the text below the pictures stays in celsius.)
Read, digest, and stop whining. :P :twisted:

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:30 pm

Yeah but you have no rain on the weekend. the weekend is my only chance to do yard work and stuff. I don't get to retire and ride around all cool on my Harley for another 25 years or so and I'll be long dead before that happens and it would be a Honda anyways...
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:23 am

Hermskii wrote:Yeah but you have no rain on the weekend. the weekend is my only chance to do yard work and stuff. I don't get to retire and ride around all cool on my Harley for another 25 years or so and I'll be long dead before that happens and it would be a Honda anyways...
Take some advice from a retired person: You get enough stress at work. So the yard work gets done when it gets done. Soon your boys will be old enough to mow the lawn for you, too.

And give yourself something to live for: Make your retirement bike a Harley. (Or Indian). "By the time you get there" both HD and Indian will have a much better product range. Because all the stubborn old farts of the "baby boom" generation that won't accept change will finally be gone, and HD will be able to build what they want. :D

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:19 pm

All these weather reports are like 'unknown - strange' for me. What is going on?

Does somebody have a story or stories on this? Please tell the trues and falses please.
Very curious about this subject.

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:49 pm

Look up the Great Lakes on your search engine. You will see stories about how cold it was this winter. Lake Erie, the most shallow lake, was completely frozen over. Lake Superior, the most northern lake, was pretty much completely frozen over too. And Lake Michigan and Lake Huron were very close too. Lake Ontario did not freeze over entirely, but had signifigantly more ice than usual.
There were stories that even Niagara Falls almost froze over entirely, with huge ice formations formed by the mist towering as high as the falls themselves.

We got almost as much snow as last year. At one point there was freezing rain and rain, but it did not cause too many power outages. It did leave a thin crust of ice on top of all the snow though.

But what a difference a week to ten days makes. The sun is stronger now, and we finally got weather that was at or above seasonal for most days. Sometimes it stayed above freezing over night. So the snow that was still piled high along the curb of the street is often completely gone now. Last week I was able to dig out the snow covering 3 of the 4 rain grates on the corner of my street. Now all the snow on the street is melted, and only patches remain on most yards. Where the snow was piled up by the plows is still deep on the boulevards between the road and the sidewalks, but should be mostly gone in another week to ten days. Hooray! :D

I heard some early birds on their motorcycles puttering about the neighbourhood today. I saw a guy on a nice new Victory and his friend on a Kawasaki Vulcan out riding on the main drag. It's a bit too cold and windy yet for riding though, really. AND there has been no rain to wash away the salt and sand put down during the winter. So those guys are nuts! Or perhaps just overly enthusiastic. :lol:

Overall we had it soft compared to the east coast. Most of that nasty stuff in the video went to the south of my area, and landed on places like Boston Mass., and New York State. In Canada, we saw Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland hit very hard too.