Microsoft error code 0x80248015

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Microsoft error code 0x80248015

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:27 pm

Windows Update still kindly offers me the use of their monthly update that searches your PC for malware, despite the fact that I'm on XP. (Although I'm wondering how much longer that they will continue to do so.)

However my PC doesn't like being updated via the little shield icon that appears in my system tray, and it hasn't for years.
So I prefer to go to Microsoft Update and get the updates that way, because using the little icon in the sys tray often takes forever, and then it sometimes fails to complete the process. It's just more reliable to go to the website.

But today I got the error code 0x80248015 when I tried to get to the update page.

Apparently this is an old problem. But there's an easy fix that will probably work for you if you encounter this oddity yourself.
Just right click on your clock in the sys tray, and choose Adjust date/time. Then pick the Internet Time tab, and do a manual resync via the update now button.

I'm guessing that our "Spring Forward" last weekend messed something up. :lol:

On a more serious note, I saw this article while I was browsing for a solution.

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-wind ... xnet-worm/

Naturally I got a bit paranoid because I'm using an outdated and orphaned O/S. I guess I don't get any updates for this old flaw, do I?
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: Microsoft error code 0x80248015

Post by Hermskii » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:18 am

Oddly Microsoft said the were at end of life for XP and were no longer offering patches but I have seen the keep updating and dispatching the monthly version of the patch that searches for malicious software on your PC.
\
I have also heard they may release a Service pack 4 for XP which would be nice of them for all of the people who can still use XP in a safe way.
~Peace~

Hermskii