Stuck in low rez on you tube

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Stuck in low rez on you tube

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:04 pm

What's going on with You Tube?

About the time I upgraded Firefox from 40.0.1 to 40.0.2 or 3 the You Tube interface changed, and I stopped being able to view You Tube videos in any resolution but Auto360 or plain 360. That's all I can get. So my favourite 428 which is about as low as you can go and still get a decent picture quality in full screen is gone. :? :(

(The new interface will allow you to fiddle with the play back speeds, but's that's not really very useful.)

I'm guessing this is just a coincidence. It is, isn't it?

I've seen rumours that You Tube was going to go subscription in order for viewers to avoid the ads, but saw or heard nothing about this low rez thing.

So I repeat: What the heck is going on?
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

medor

Re: Stuck in low rez on you tube

Post by medor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:38 am

KellyD

Post by KellyD » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:20 pm

Nice, medor! Thanks for that. I was stuck on low also.
Retired. Please email to contact.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:46 am

Good job all. I love it when people help and I love it when people who have been helped give thanks.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:27 am

Since the patch is a beta, I have held off on installing it. Apparently some people are having issues with it.

What I have an issue with is why Mozilla let their browser update revert people to a low rez player. The low rez player is apparently the one you tube wants people to use, -for obvious reasons.

I have sent Mozilla a blast through their "contact us" channel, but have yet to hear back from them. I expect that I never will.

I am hoping that the final edition of this fix will work for all. Thanks for pointing this patch out, Medor. I will be keeping an eye on it. :)

In the mean time I have reverted to watching videos on IE. Because I am on XP, there won't be any updates to screw up my you tube player. :mrgreen:

medor

Post by medor » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:19 am

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:53 pm

I was resetting some "user" settings (written in bold) in section about:config related to "media, h264, etc." Suddenly I got (temporary) options to switch resolutions, I guess they worked until something has been later updated screwing settings again. Also I'm agree that they don't like too much bandwidth load so they intend to default all people at 360 mode. I had some plugin which I removed at a system refresh, that one also was helping this problem. I could find it by G00gling so I'm guessing is not a secret is just a "slow down" against abusing traffic.

Aside:
I'm using sometimes a plugin to download them in high quality (720) for later viewing unlagged by Net. With or without that HTML helper I can have content at high quality unlagged on a local HDD.
It says: Download YouTube Videos as MP4 - will attach a download button at bottom of video with a tiny sub-menu for picking up resolution of movie file. Content is perfectly readable with VLC, no adds and other on-screen trash.

medor

Post by medor » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:19 am

I'm using sometimes a plugin to download them in high quality (720) for later viewing unlagged by Net. With or without that HTML helper I can have content at high quality unlagged on a local HDD.
It says: Download YouTube Videos as MP4 - will attach a download button at bottom of video with a tiny sub-menu for picking up resolution of movie file. Content is perfectly readable with VLC, no adds and other on-screen trash.
Same here sometime.
Download with JDownloader 2 BETA
Read files ongoing or finished with SPlayer

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:30 pm

I have been using http://www.tubeenhancer.com for a couple of years.
It does many more useful youtube things in 1 extension.
Some features are a bit borked in the current version, but depending on what you need you may not notice.
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:59 am

Thanks Medor -I finally got around to adding the plugin to Firefox, and it works nicely. Everything is back to the way it was before.

I had to update shockwave flash again already tonight, which was one reason why I rechecked the status of this plugin. ;)

Too bad the flash update didn't help my IE. For some reason IE won't let me display a youtube page at all now. Some security nonsense IE is unhappy about.

I can get the sound from a video, but do not see the webpage at all. All I see now is a blank IE page. What the heck is up with that?? :? :roll:

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:45 pm

That will be the digital universe telling you not to use IE on XP.
Can't find it now, but a while back Microsoft posted the stats for malware and hacks used against XP users.
3 offenders were at the top of the list.
1) IE
2) Flash
3) Java

Youtube has repeatedly served up malvertising and exploits via the ads and flash exploits.
No versions of IE have the ability to delay plugins until you say "yes".
No versions of IE have youtube ad-blockers.

Possibly the worst thing you could do with IE on XP is stream videos.
This is by far the biggest attack vector across all browsers.

:idea: My choice for XP over the past 5 years is not even to use a browser 8)
Due to the lack of hardware decoding and stuttering in web players for XP, I use "Media Player Classic - BE" to watch youtube at full quality with hardware decoding (actually I also use it with Win7).
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/
Watching Youtube in a real video program is soooo much nicer (less desktop wasted). You have all the normal abilities of a real player, such as zooming in and out, slo-mo or frame-advance (it will also work with an Android or IR remote control).
Because it uses DirectX 9 for HW decoding, your CPU will be free for you to do other things (or at least not heat up).
Your preferred size of video is set in the prefs.
Youtube.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:37 pm

Yes I recall your warnings about IE, and once Firefox was patched I only use it to stream videos. I just commented that something weird was going on with IE.

I used IE again to get the videos I like to watch in the quality I prefer until that patch was no longer a beta. Perhaps I've been lucky or careful enough, but nothing untoward has happened to my PC so far. I scan very regularly with lowly Microsoft Security Essentials (Avast left XP behind and using it gave me BSOD's) and good old Malware Bytes. -No problems detected by them or odd behavior from my PC seen so far.......

But I'm curious about this program you mentioned. Are you saying that you stream videos from You Tube through this program? Or do you download them to your PC and then watch them later?

I saw in the reviews section that there are programs out there that do this its stuff "better" than the one you mention. What say you to those, sir?

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:31 am

Not sure about the reviews for Media Player Classic-BE.
I see people complaining about things they didn't understand or switch on.
But for clarity I can explain the differences we need to worry about between the players (I have tried a few with youtube).

Note: as you are not watching via a web page, you don't get adverts or malware :D
For your comparison, my experience is based on using XP with a 32bit Athlon 2800 CPU + ATI Radion HD3600.

First, "Media Player Classic - BE" and "Media Player Classic - HC" are both newer versions of the old "Media Player Classic" project.
They have a few annoying differences and so I actually use them both.
I use the "BE" version to stream Youtube, and the "HC" version to stream Twitch.tv

Both can decode Youtube MP4 and webm streams, but "BE" recognises the normal links when pasted as a file location.
All branches of MPC are still small compared to the alternatives.
All versions allow you to change the video decoder settings and rendering options for more speed, or more functionality.
If you choose "Save as.." from the file menu you can save the file to a folder.
Unfortunately this saves from the net, not from the temp data, so It can double the amount you download.

Next is the main rival VLC.
VLC is very flexible and also recognises Youtube links pasted as a "Network Stream"
Just like Flash, VLC has hardware decoding but only for DirectX10/Vista up.
You can use it in XP, but MP4 HD streams will still stutter.

:idea: If your GFX card does not have any DX9 HW decoding functions, then the best way to watch HD video with no stutter is kinda simple :D
If your monitor can go big enough, change your desktop size to the same width as the video, and it will no longer have to scale each frame.
This will help with all video players, inc. flash plugins.
(This is also what I used to do before I started using MPC-BE).

:idea: You can use any youtube downloader extension, to copy the long address of the actual files, and test any player you already use.

While on that topic, if you are looking for a media downloader that works on a few sites, try putting links here http://en.savefrom.net/
It will give you links you can download or copy from in any browser. This is handy if you want to download on someone else's PC without installing anything.
It is available as a browser extension http://en.savefrom.net/user.php

Glad you are using Malware bytes as a second opinion, although bare in mind that if you got hit by ransom-ware that encrypted your drive, there is nothing it can do afterwards. You need something that stops things from getting in.
Having a backup is your only cure.

Time was, your browsing habits would keep you safe, but luck is becoming much more to do with it these days, as the hackers keep trying to use google and the other "trusted" hosts to reach out.
Keeping safe with XP will continue to become a minefield as companies finally stop support.

Unfortunately some of the ransom-ware now does not require you to actively click on it. Only that you see an advert or video that used some jscript to fetch the nasty stuff.
You can run browsers with jscript off, but most of the internet stops working properly :(
The are browser extensions that will let you enable it for just the sites you trust (none for IE).

As for the common belief that Microsoft Security Essentials is doing much good, I really think you should look at these pages and see how it compares to real AV software.
Recent tests https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/
Last specific XP tests https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/ho ... indows-xp/

Microsoft say that MSE is the "Baseline" to measure other AV to, as this is what you get with a standard Win7
The baseline is marked on this chart as the dotted line
http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php
Does that look good to you ?

This month the best free AV are Bitdefender and Avira (in that order).
Avira, and Avira free have been king of the hill more than anyone over the past year, so there is not much to split between them.
I believe both will run in XP.
I would pick whichever of the 2 does not make the PC too slow.

:idea: Worth keeping as another standalone second-opinion tool, is "Herd Protect". This is very small and handy because it uses multiple AV engines via remote connection (just like the Virus Total site).
It includes the Malware Bytes, Avira, Bitdefender, Avast, AVG....etc.
http://www.herdprotect.com

Final useful tip: Even though I theoretically know my sh*t, I still use a tool that scans all my installed programs for known problems, and if possible offers an update, or will do the update itself.
https://secunia.com/vulnerability_scann ... l/download
It should still install in XP, but if not I can find an earlier one that does.

OK. I hope everybody got something out of that, as this is useful to all versions of Windows.

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:25 am

Ok so I stopped watching You Tube videos through IE. I even removed its icon from my desktop.

But since all of the discussion above, I have found it necessary on two previous occasions to update shockwave flash in Firefox in order to keep the You Tube player from reverting to the crappy version I don't like. This has never made sense to me since I thought that the HTML 5 extension for Firefox was supposed to defeat shockwave, BUT.... whatever. :roll:
It fixed things so I was happy, ..enough.... :?

NOW for the last two weeks or so despite watching You Tube videos through Firefox I would see a message at the top of the screen that said that soon You Tube would no longer be supporting my version of IE. :roll:

Well, I guess they weren't kidding. NOW I must watch through the $h!tty player again. AND to top things off, ONCE AGAIN the audio stutters like mad, thus defeating the whole purpose of listening to music on YouTube through Firefox.

I apparently have the latest version of the HTML 5 extension, v. 3.03.
And I apparently have the latest version of the shockwave plugin for firefox, v. 20.0.0.267 At least I assume it's the latest version, since attempts to update from the Firefox page tell me that no updates are available.

Quick edit: I just went to our "You Tube Fest" page, and found that the embedded videos there still have the good player in them for me. And when I listen to a song from the good embedded player, I get little or no stuttering. But if I try to "watch in You Tube" from there, it reverts to the crappy player, and the video goes all choppy to hell, and the sound stutters like mad. IF the video will run at all. :roll:

Can anyone tell me just WTF is going on? As in:
1) WHY is this happening at all? What's YouTube up to?
2) Why did I need to update shockwave flash to keep the HTML 5 extension working?
3) Should I still go and get that BE version of that media player, or is there something better now?

Last of all, I should point out that I listen to my You Tube videos through a "Private" window in Firefox, since it's supposedly more secure, and doesn't put anything into cache or store any cookies.

And speaking of cookies, last night while trying to sort this out I found all my cookies in Firefox, and deleted all of them except for the ones for PBS TV and TV Ontario, since I use their websites a lot in order to plan my evening's TV watching. Too bad getting rid of all those others didn't help this situation somehow. Although if I'm starving somebody for meta data about me at the moment, then that's just fine. :twisted:

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:09 pm

Current Flash version is 20,0,0,286
Only ever check or update with the Adobe site
https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

To be honest, no matter what we must all update flash whenever updates are available.
It is almost always a security issue rather than a new feature.

If you are viewing the HTML5 WEBM videos then you are not using flash, but possibly the embedded versions are behaving differently and you are getting the MP4 streams.
The FF extension I use lets me define the default quality for the different modes.
Are you using an extension to tailor youtube ?

WEBM video will be decoded by your CPU. Not many GFX cards support HW decoding of WEBM.
This is why I still use the old MP4 streams if possible.

Old Opera 12 is still secure and works well on youtube, I use the "Extend Tube" extension.
https://addons.opera.com/en-gb/extensio ... xtendtube/

Another FF extension worth trying is ;
https://www.mrfdev.com/youtube-enhancer-plus-options

Yes if you browse in private mode everything is done in RAM. If you run out of real RAM and it is hammering the pagefile, that may make things stutter.
As long as you are blocking ads and trackers already, you don't need to worry too much about private mode for general use.

I should perhaps do a separate post with some tips for safer more private browsing.
However, bare in mind that by using Media Player Classic to watch youtube playlists, you;
a) get access to GPU HW decoding
b) are not using the html or scripts, so cannot get adverts or malware.
c) cannot be tracked via cookies or scripts.
d) can save any video currently playing.