The Emerald Ash Borer plague

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: The Emerald Ash Borer plague

Post by a nameless entity » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:22 pm

At the end of July this year 2021, the LAST remaining Ash tree next door to my house was cut down by the town. It was on town property, so the town was treating the tree with that "Tree Azin" stuff that fights the bugs. But it seems that stuff only puts off the inevitable. When I was a kid, there were 5 or 6 other Ash trees down the property line beside that last remaining tree. All are gone now.
Some of the Ash trees at the bottom of the street, out of direct sight due to the curve in the road, were still around the last time I looked but all were being treated by the town, and are slowly dying.
Most of the others on private property are gone, or waiting to be cut down.

As I look down the street from my place, there is only ONE very large tree left in view. It is a Chinese Elm. That tree was small when I was a kid. Now it's huge, and I am old. I will not live long enough to see the younger trees on the street become near to the size of all of the mature trees that we have lost these last few years. :(
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:36 pm

Very sad indeed! :cry:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:43 pm

a nameless entity wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:22 pm
Some of the Ash trees at the bottom of the street, out of direct sight due to the curve in the road, were still around the last time I looked but all were being treated by the town, and are slowly dying.
Most of the others on private property are gone, or waiting to be cut down.
I went for a walk to the end of the street the other day. All of the Ash trees that were on the lot owner's side of the property line have been taken down. There is one tree left of the many that used to be there, and it is 90%+ dead. It's one of the one's the town was looking after, so they will be around eventually to take it away.

As I stated farther back in this thread, we lost all of the Elm trees in this neighbourhood between 1960-63. Elms used to dump massive amounts of seeds, so every once in a long while a seed would germinate, and the tree would grow until around age 16 or so, and then the disease would get in and kill it. We lost one Elm that way in the '90's. But right on the property line a young Elm that got to age 20 before it was cut down stayed alive in the roots and would throw up a small trunk. I cut down its first try years ago, but relented on the second. So this Elm made it to age 30 or so, but just as the trunk was starting to look like a real tree for the last 10 years, -the disease apparently got in last fall because the tree never leafed this year and it is dead. :(

In the last 90 years this part of Ontario has lost 3 species of trees. The Sweet Chestnut's in the 1930's, the Elms in the 1960's, and now the last of the Ash trees in the 2020's.
The Ash trees also produced billions of seeds, so this time I'm hoping that the bugs have moved on, and the species might get a second chance.
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess