Outlook, email, imap

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
David
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Outlook, email, imap

Post by David » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:59 am

I have a question. Just re-read the thread where Herm was talking about switching from Outlook Express to Outlook back in 2012.

Within the past year, I noticed that Outlook (I have 2010 version) has issues with disconnecting from the mail server and/or syncing issues and not responding. I get the following error many times a day "Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for Internal.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for Internal. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'" Internal is the name of this account.

Anyways to try to resolve this I have searched the internet and have not found an answer. I have changed the server timeouts tried different ports but still have the same issues. I was told recently by an IT person that outlook is not really compatible with current email servers, Outlook has issues that they have turned a blind eye.

I have thought about switching email clients, such as Thunderbird. I have test drove that client and it does not have the same issues, at least not as many. I might get a disconnect once or twice but not a syncing issue within sight.
What is weird is that I have looked at the advance server settings of Thunderbird (Incoming mail server at 993 and the Outgoing server at 465) and it is the same for my outlook but they have different results. One is unstable and the other is stable. They have the same information....

I am not sure if I upgraded to Outlook 2016 will have the same issues or not.

I have my email settings for imap because I access my work email from multiple computers (work, laptop and home).

Thoughts or ideas?
Last edited by David on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

David

Re: Outlook, email, imap

Post by David » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:04 pm

Thunderbird is more stable but I like Outlook better. Outlook is something that I have gotten used to. I know I can just log onto the mail server through a website, but .... again change and I do not like change.

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:26 am

My wife and I have Outlook - we have always used it.
It gave us a lot of problems a few years back.
I myself very rarely use it anymore, but my wife still uses it ALL the time.
A few months back she went in and "messed" with its settings, logins and whatever, and after that it has worked very well, and fast too. :D
Unfortunately, she cannot remember what she did back then, but it worked. :(

I myself have not used it since she fixed it, but she likes it again, after that fixing.
I wish she would remember. :?
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Post by Hermskii » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:25 pm

Outlook rules!

Yes, upgrade to 2016 and sync issues are more likely due to a crappy service provider than an actual Outlook issue. I still have Outlook 2010 on some of my older computers and it works just fine!
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:50 pm

Hook wrote:A few months back she went in and "messed" with its settings, logins and whatever, and after that it has worked very well, and fast too. :D
Well I wanted to mess with the setting but my provider (Cableone) claims that the settings have to be the following: incoming mail server: SSL and port 993. The outgoing server: SSL or TLS and port 465 (SSL) or 587 (TLS).

I tried their settings and had the same issues. I looked at the Thunderbird program and at ONE time it had a different mail setting. At one time it had the incoming port at 143 and SSL. I checked with Thunderbird again and the settings changed to that of what Cableone recommended. That was weird how it changed on its own.

I tried that setting (port 143) in Outlook but it did not work. But then due to another article that I read, I went into my email account on Outlook and clicked on repair and then changed the incoming to SSL and 143. It works better than before. I played around with the incoming and outgoing settings but discovered that incoming at port 143 and TLS, and outgoing port 465 and SSL was the most stable.

I know nothing about the ports and the TLS and SSL, but I should not complain. I have something that is stable and I can use Outlook once again without much frustration. Thanks for your help and listening ear.

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:28 am

Yeah, my wife is still saying Outlook is working great for her - after she "messed" with the settings. :D
She did however tell me that it didn't work well until she closed out everything and came back later to try it. (next morning?)
Like it all had to re-boot to take effect or something. :?

Glad you got this taken care of for the most part David! :wink:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777