Hardware

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Hardware

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Herm and I started to hijack one of EG's threads, so I'll move the discussion over here:
Hermskii wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:34 pm
Don't you dare do that. You can go to best buy and buy a cheap laptop with a SSD in it for just over a couple $100 dollars. You don't do anything that requires a i7 processor either. I'm guessing you cruise the internet and check email. Other than that, you just want to game some. All you need is a i3 at best. So shop amazon or best buy for a i3 proc laptop that has a big ssd and you are set. Now please just send me 1/5 of the $500 I just saved you. Wait. This whole discussion just dejavu'd me. You better at least get a laptop this time.

I hate laptops. Besides, I have a proper PC desk that accommodates a tower PC, plus a flat topped work space that was ideal as a 2nd tower PC work station where I kept my old PII 300.

How about THIS as an i3 then? (Just remember to knock off 25% of the price to translate it to US dollars.)

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/gaming- ... i5090_h20e

(Hmmm..... I don't want any of this wireless nonsense either. And I'm starting to get a feeling that my old stereo speaker systems won't work with the new pc's either. )
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Re: Hardware

Post by Hermskii » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:44 pm

No.

For that much, you could buy a laptop and still be able to afford a big new monitor, a full size keyboard and a mouse. It will "feel" like your on a big pc.

It works out even better if you already have all of the full size stuff and just need a desktop PC. Even better if a desktop than a laptop because that is cheaper and way easier to fix and certainly better for upgrading.

Just go buy a cheap desktop at Best Buy. Do you have Best Buys up there? Go buy one Walmart or wherever. Just don't pay over $400 in American dollars for it.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No

Re: Hardware

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:02 pm

Yes, we have Best Buy. And there's one here in town at an inconvenient location. The problem with Best Buy however, is that every time I see a cheap PC that seems to have nice specs, the reviews for the darn things are usually quite strenuously negative. Lots of 1 star reviews talking about units that won't even boot or fail in some way consistently, and replacement units doing the same thing all over again. I don't have a car, and taking a bad unit back to Best Buy at their inconvenient location would be a major hassle on top of the hassle of a bad PC. :?

I keep feeling the temptation to try Dell again, but their proprietary mobo's, vid cards, and what not is a turn off. Of course, if their quality has returned to the good old days of the early 2000's, then I would buy one with the idea of never trying to upgrade it. My old Dell 8200 lasted 14.5 years. If they can match that kind of life span with their new stuff, I'm good with it.
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess