How do you clear the cache in Windoze 10?

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

How do you clear the cache in Windoze 10?

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:20 pm

I'm not sure how to do it. These library computers get slow sometimes because of all the rubbish idiot users leave on them. I could still clear the cache on these machines when they had Windows 7 on them, but now under Win 10 right clicking on the desktop no longer brings up the necessary menu.

Of course perhaps only admins are now allowed to do those things on these library pc's, but I'd like to know the procedure anyway, so that I can give it a try sometime while I'm here. :roll:
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

EvilGrins
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Re: How do you clear the cache in Windoze 10?

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:43 pm

It's less about Windows 10 and more about what browser you're using. Every browser has options to clear out the cache, though not all libraries give access to those options.

Which browser does your library favor?

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:39 pm

I'm actually talking about the hard drive's cache, where all the temp files and such trash gets left over. In Win 7 I could still get to the menu for deleting all that rubbish by right clicking on the desktop. But now under Win 10 that does not work, and I can't find any way to get to that menu. And I'm pretty sure that I could speed up the library pc's a bit if only I could.
-For at least my current session anyhow. :?
(There's one guy that's in here every day on the same pc, and it is slooowwww because all he does is play those evil "free to play" games for the whole time he's here.)

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:06 am

From the menu on the lower left you go into "Windows Administrative Tools" and select the "Disk CleanUp".

Library may have the option blocked, but it basically does what you've described.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:21 am

I bet they have it blocked. Better idea: Get yourself a new PC and a high-speed connection at home! I feel like we've had this discussion before...
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:31 pm

Hermskii wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:21 am
I bet they have it blocked. Better idea: Get yourself a new PC and a high-speed connection at home! I feel like we've had this discussion before...
AMEN! :P
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:02 pm

Quite right there EG, admin tools are now blocked. Before in Win 7 you had access to some of them. I was hoping to hear that there was a way to access cache clear from the desktop in Win 10 that I didn't know about. This library PC is one of the few that is relatively private because it's hard to peer over my shoulder. So while I use it I like to clean it up a bit for my own good as well as everyone else's. So much for public service. ;) :|
Hook wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:31 pm
Hermskii wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:21 am
AMEN! :P
Hmmmphh, yeah we've had this conversation a few time before. I should have lied and said "yes please send me a free pc". Then I'd have the money for those $800 rear shocks for my hog no problem! :P

I just got bill for my Bell landline, and this month's offer is for a "free" "smart phone". :roll: There's a Bell store nearby, I guess I'll drop by and see what they can do for me.

Then I guess I'll just call Dell and tell them what I want and see where I end up.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:22 pm

Yay!
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:40 pm

Geez, we have talked about all this before. I am rediscovering how trying to buy a PC online makes my brain hurt. I saw a nice one for a good price that didn't have any DVD/CD burner! wtf??

And every time I look at even a cheap Dell the darn thing ends up with an asking price of $1200+ Cdn.

Bah, my time is almost up on this library PC and I feel like I've just wasted 2 hours. :? :roll:

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:59 pm

Go to Best Buy and get the HP that is closest to costing $500 US. Start Fragging again! You're welcome!
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:15 pm

Aye Aye sir! :salutes:

It looks like it's going in that direction. I don't like the new Dell's too much. No room in their cases for upgrading to any extra optical drives, etc.
Both lines of their gaming PC's don't seem to have any option for an optical drive at all. Surely I'm wrong about that? Are games only sold by download now? I want my games on cd or dvd!

So it's either Best Buy or Staples. And I much prefer shopping at Staples. I just wish they'd send out flyers again. Both of them seem to have stopped, none received in the local paper for weeks.

Yep, I'm a luddite. :lol:

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:17 pm

Hermskii wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:59 pm
Go to Best Buy and get the HP that is closest to costing $500 US. Start Fragging again! You're welcome!
Perhaps you have far more options available in the USA? The best I could come up with at Best Buy Canada was this one:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp ... r=PDP_Reco

It's annoying not to see the ports and slots available. Nor does it seem to have a way to plug in a headset on the front of this PC.

Can you show me on Best Buy USA what you had in mind?
Maybe it's available here, just not shown online.

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:54 am

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/all-in-one ... 0skuidsaas

We bought one of these All-In-One HP computers about 4 or 5 years ago! - LOVE it! :wink:
We paid about $400 US for it at that time.

I think it was either the 21.5" 4GB ram now for $429, or the 23.8" 8BG ram one for $549. (not sure which we have at the moment LOL) :roll:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:03 pm

I didn't have anything in mind in particular. I have always built my computers but recently got to where I am buying them. If I play any game, it is basically UT or even older and thus any new desktop can easily do that. Expect to pay a few hundred more if you want a laptop which is good but it is hard to upgrade laptops and easy to work on and upgrade desktops. Go spend between $400-$500 on a new desktop and your hardware should be good to go for at least 3-5 years. Buy basic Office for $100 and Malware-bytes professional for $45 and you are then good to go!
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:49 pm

Hook wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:54 am
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/all-in-one ... 0skuidsaas

We bought one of these All-In-One HP computers about 4 or 5 years ago! - LOVE it! :wink:
We paid about $400 US for it at that time.

I think it was either the 21.5" 4GB ram now for $429, or the 23.8" 8BG ram one for $549. (not sure which we have at the moment LOL) :roll:
Thanks Hook. I saw a few nice all in ones over at Staples yesterday. I liked the HP's the best. BUT I have a nice 24" flat screen monitor, gaming mouse, comfort keyboard, and 2.1 speakers that just need a new tower PC to be happy.

To keep from being without a PC if/when one of them fails, the original plan was to buy a powerful but not top of the line tower, plus a cheaper model for backup and perhaps use as a UT server on the side. I think I'll go back and have another look at the all in ones they had there, some looked really nice, will make a great backup PC, and will fit on my other desk in the rec room nicely.

@ Herm: I'm having a hell of a time finding a cheap tower that I can stand to spend the money on. The heart wants what the heart wants. Dell's XPS Special Tower Editions are starting to look irresistible to me. :oops:
Other than blowing all the money I saved up on one or two PC's, I learned last week of another problem I may have getting back online. A fellow I spoke to wanted Bell Fibe internet into his house out in the countryside, as they've just put the high speed system into his area. But Bell insisted that he must give up his land line and go with their internet phone line when they installed his Bell Fibe highspeed TV and internet. Apparently both the office and the technicians couldn't or wouldn't leave him with his land line for his phone service. He was unwilling to give up his land line because his elderly mother lives with him, and there's no way he would risk being unable to call 911 because the internet was down. After a lot of hassle he eventually got his way, and is all hooked up.

I am in the same boat. There's no way I'm giving up my ultra reliable land line, so I'm worried I may have a fight on my hands too. And there's no way I'm going back to my old cable ISP. They're the reason I went offline in the 1st place. (And there's only 2 choices for high speed internet here, cable or Bell Fibe.)
:roll: