Short Stirling video

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Short Stirling video

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:42 pm

The local news has been carrying a story about a Stirling bomber that was shot down over Holland during WWII. It was BK 716 from the 218 Squadron, apparently a RAF squadron, who had one RCAF fellow as the tail gunner. His sister is over 90 and still alive. A Dutch recovery group is making the effort to recover the aircraft from the bottom of a lake. It is believed the crew is still inside the fuselage. A proper burial will be made of any remains found.

The video isn't very good sound wise, so I'm not going to post it here. It seems the Stirling hit the water pretty hard, and broke up some.
Here's a text with pictures story that has a link to the Dutch recovery society's video at the bottom of the page:

https://www.intelligencer.ca/news/local ... dutch-lake

I found this story interesting because my father flew the first half of his tour with the RCAF as a Navigator on Stirling M-Mother with 622 Squadron out of Mildenhall.
Later Squadron 622 was re-equipped with the Lancaster bomber, and they finished their tour in that fine aircraft.

Not everyone seems to know much about the Short Brother's Stirling bomber. I found this short You Tube video that shows much new to me footage of that early four engined WWII bomber. I thought you might like a peek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHSUZ7_ukiU
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: Short Stirling video

Post by Hermskii » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:08 pm

I heard about this on FOX news. It is always good to find missing planes and ships.
~Peace~

Hermskii