Redeemer mod bots

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
gopostal

Re: Redeemer mod bots

Post by gopostal » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:06 pm

Not without resorting to a MH style setup where the bot was embedded into the map. Such a wholesale change of the bot would require a full mod package of script. I'm going to bang around some over the weekend with this. Working in the AI is both tough and fun and I'm quite enjoying it. Once I get a working demo done, I'll send it to you embedded into a map and you tell me who owns who. :shock:

MEAT

Post by MEAT » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:36 pm

ScottyD wrote:Not without resorting to a MH style setup where the bot was embedded into the map. Such a wholesale change of the bot would require a full mod package of script. I'm going to bang around some over the weekend with this. Working in the AI is both tough and fun and I'm quite enjoying it. Once I get a working demo done, I'll send it to you embedded into a map and you tell me who owns who. :shock:
Being that it's a mod I could just add it when ever right...?
Say for example I use it every Monday and we can call it Botday from Hell .

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:07 pm

Yeah I'm gonna need some real input on this. I think it will have to be toned down to be playable.

Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Post by Hermskii » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:24 pm

I'll input it to death if it continues going in the right direction. We are still talking about a "Run for your life! It's the Super-"Expletive Deleted"-Bot-From-Hell mod right?
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:33 pm

The way I hope to see it is this:

I hope it will be a mod that simply lets me add it to a server via a serverpackage.
I would hope to have a ini file so I could modify the bot or bots strength.
I would want the mod to be able to work on DM maps for sure.
I would want the bot or bots to be attracked to anything real players do.
I would want the bot or bots to move randomly and always be searching for us.
I would want the bot or bots to be wicked awesome.
The ini should be able to turn on and off shield belts and inviso for the "Expletive Deleted" bot.

I see joining a DM map with three others and instantly any of each of us being attacked while the others of us run like hell or stay to try to fight off the bot. If we stay, he kills us but if we run, he follows one of us and tries to kill us.

The name of this mod now that I think of it should be something like "Hermskii the TerminatorBastardBotFromHell mod. That has a good ring to it! No but really, I think it should be called "The Terminator Bot Mod".Just turn it on and watch it kill just don't get too close or else.
~Peace~

Hermskii

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:36 pm

Yes, it is. I have been playing with it most of the evening. BTW Herm if you, MEAT, or KK get a free minute this evening I am PM'ing you a redeemer mod I am working on. Try it offline and tell me if it performs the way you want.

I am beginning to work on the redeemer itself next so probably tomorrow I will have an update. Be sure to tick the translocator so that it is enabled when you test. In the code it is allowed even though this is an arena mod. Once you give it a 2 minute trial run you can delete the whole thing. The netcode I'll get to last.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:41 pm

I've been working inside the bot AI. I've got them to use the translocator as a weapon but I'm having a hard time getting them to translocate at the right time. Once they shoot the trans the code calls for a 1.5 second wait then translocate. I'm not sure how to work it so they telefrag you. Once I get that, it will be tough. I played some with one and he consistantly hit me with the beacon but he didn't trans at all. I think the default bot needs an actor to call the actual translocation. I can work around that but I'm not sure about how to make him know when the beacon has struck you.

I'm on it though :)

EDIT: Scratch sending it to KK. He has PM's disabled.

MEAT

Post by MEAT » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:40 pm

Hermskii wrote:The way I hope to see it is this:
I see joining a DM map with three others and instantly any of each of us being attacked while the others of us run like hell or stay to try to fight off the bot. If we stay, he kills us but if we run, he follows one of us and tries to kill us..
Wow...just the opposite of CG...lol
Hermskii wrote: The name of this mod now that I think of it should be something like "Hermskii the TerminatorBastardBotFromHell mod. That has a good ring to it! No but really, I think it should be called "The Terminator Bot Mod".Just turn it on and watch it kill just don't get too close or else.

I've been chastised for years for my hatred of bots and their use on all servers.
But finally someone has come to their senses, as well as to my defense and I applaud you for that.
Thanks ScottyD...

And as the creator of this mod you have all the right to name it what you want.
But the obvious name has to be...BotsGoPostal

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:57 pm

I totally agree on that name MEAT. "BotsGoPostal" is perfect!
~Peace~

Hermskii

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:56 pm

OK quickie update if anyone cares :wink:

Here's a screencap of where I'm at

I cleaned up the crosshair but I think I may make it about half smaller so it's not dominating the screen so much. A rudimentary radar is enabled on alt fire that allows you to see players within a 5000 unit "halo" around you (see the bot behind the crate?). I'll have to playtest it to see how it is on some different maps. I might lessen that figure.
Deemer trails are longer now and more floaty. Also the alt redeemer is the same speed but unguided regular fire gets a 25% bump up on speed to encourage it's use. Making the alt fire that fast makes it hard to steer and besides its too much in favor of the deemer in that scenario. Trans will also be available, even though this will be an arena mod. Oh, and I added shameless server pimping along the edge :wink:

I'll try to get an internal alpha ready in the next day or so to test out. There are some bugs to iron out just yet, but it runs clean without a single error so I'm happy thus far. Any suggestions on what you'd like to see done? This isn't meant as a replcement mod for the redeemer servers, but maybe more a Sunday-night-special thing.

MEAT

Post by MEAT » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:43 pm

ScottyD wrote:
I cleaned up the crosshair but I think I may make it about half smaller so it's not dominating the screen so much. A rudimentary radar is enabled on alt fire that allows you to see players within a 5000 unit "halo" around you (see the bot behind the crate?). I'll have to playtest it to see how it is on some different maps. I might lessen that figure.
Deemer trails are longer now and more floaty. Also the alt redeemer is the same speed but unguided regular fire gets a 25% bump up on speed to encourage it's use. Making the alt fire that fast makes it hard to steer and besides its too much in favor of the deemer in that scenario. Trans will also be available, even though this will be an arena mod. Oh, and I added shameless server pimping along the edge :wink:

I'll try to get an internal alpha ready in the next day or so to test out. There are some bugs to iron out just yet, but it runs clean without a single error so I'm happy thus far. Any suggestions on what you'd like to see done? This isn't meant as a replcement mod for the redeemer servers, but maybe more a Sunday-night-special thing.
I tested it and it's pretty cool.
The problem I'm having though, and I told ScottyD... is that I am not a hide and guide player.
I'm a run and gun, find your azz and telefrag type of guy.
So I was hoping for some radar goggles... :shock: :?:
Last edited by MEAT on Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:45 pm

If you are serious, I'll make a mod.

Maybe you could use them but at a cost of life? Like if you use them it costs you 2 health a second or something?

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:30 am

Guys here is an alpha build of the redeemer mod. It's still rough but plays without errors. The alt-fire is stubbornly stuck and requires you to click once to clear the alt-fire hud. I have a full week coming up before my vacation and I probably won't have time until next week to work on this. I have most of the netcode nulled on this so it most likely won't work online. Just take a 3 minute run with it then delete it and tell me if this is something you'd play or if the radar ruins things. It's more a proof-of-concept than anything else.

BTW, this will not flag you as a cheater on any online checks if you leave the mod and play on a UTDC server. I used native code only for the mod, there is no cheat code in it at all. I'd rather not tell how I did it openly, but it's all legit.

BTW, if you steal my code on this, I promise you I will hunt you down and.......help you with anything you might need :) As always, my work is free and open. Use it any way you want. I'll post the source code if anyone wants to play with it. If you are looking for radar code though, this isn't it. Let me save you the trouble.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scify

Post by Scify » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:08 pm

MEAT wrote:
ScottyD wrote:

I tested it and it's pretty cool.
The problem I'm having though, and I told ScottyD... is that I am not a hide and guide player.
I'm a run and gun, find your azz and telefrag type of guy.
So I was hoping for some radar goggles... :shock: :?:

He learn around me not to use Translocator close near me. I will Hear him and Get him.
" If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous!"