Custom Deemer arena mod *beta*

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
gopostal

Custom Deemer arena mod *beta*

Post by gopostal » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:53 pm

The goDeemer is a smaller, lighter, faster weapon that falls between the 8-ball and normal redeemer in overall "power". It retains the controlled alt-fire but the blast radius and damage are greatly reduced. The missle is close to twice as fast now to compensate for the loss in strength and also is easier to control. In playtesting it's not overwhelming and actually fits nicely into the niche of long-range weapons along with the sniper rifle. I'm not a fan of super powerful or overwhelming weapons and I took great pains with this to make it balanced and useful.

Please take this for a spin if you would like and let me know what you think. Feedback is pretty important on something like this.
goDeemer Arena

Ice
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: Custom Deemer arena mod *beta*

Post by Ice » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:36 pm

So I've only played the goDeemer mod twice for now
once with bots and once with players.
Both times the main issue is mass suicide when ever you try to hit someone.
Who ever gets the redeemer off first doesn't die but doesn't get a kill either
because the other persons redeemer blows up in their face.
I probably killed 30 people but had a score of 7 because of the suicide factor. :|

You said something about reducing the redeemer speed which would be good.
That way theres time to get away before it explodes in your face. :P
Also if you or anyone else ever puts it into a server I would use only big maps.
Since the test server only have small maps its even harder to not kill yourself.
With big maps you can at least guide or have a larger range to escape incoming redeemers.

Other than that I think its really fun :mrgreen:

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:51 pm

I REALLY appreciate your input! I tried making it not able to suicide the shooter but then you could just run while shooting your feet and be invulnerable.

I emailed MEAT to swap in some large sniper style maps. Lets see how that does. The default ones are very tight.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:27 pm

I think the main problem is the speed of the primary fire, it really looks like InstaGib at the moment. Maybe if you can slow it down a bit it'd be better IMO.

Also I'd like to test it on bigger maps, like Ice said before, because on the small default maps it's really a matter of spawnkilling, and it's almost impossible to "hide-and-guide".

A positive note is that it seems the secondary fire is finally working fine, no more "fake-clicks" (lag when you try to detonate the guided missile) so far as for me. :mrgreen:
Plain Old Telephone Service

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:14 pm

Muhahahaha! That's all I'll say for now.
~Peace~

Hermskii

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:17 pm

Yes, let me direct credit for this to Herm. The entire concept was his, from the smaller, faster warhead to the smoke trail.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:20 pm

Ice wrote: Also if you or anyone else ever puts it into a server I would use only big maps.
Hey MEAT, keep an eye on this girl, she loves big maps, maybe you've found your heiress. :twisted:

gopostal wrote:Yes, let me direct credit for this to Herm. The entire concept was his, from the smaller, faster warhead to the smoke trail.
Herm is an evil genius. :twisted:
Plain Old Telephone Service

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:22 pm

I am currently loading a crop of new and larger maps on the server for DM play. Will finish in a half hour or so...

MEAT

Post by MEAT » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:54 pm

*POTS* wrote:
Ice wrote: Also if you or anyone else ever puts it into a server I would use only big maps.
Hey MEAT, keep an eye on this girl, she loves big maps, maybe you've found your heiress.
Smart woman, plus it only makes sense...a large guided nuclear warhead deserves a larger playing field.
You don't get that on the smaller stock maps...you only get spray.

gopostal wrote:Yes, let me direct credit for this to Herm. The entire concept was his, from the smaller, faster warhead to the smoke trail.

Hmm...a smaller warhead would make the smaller maps seem bigger?
Can't fool me Hermskii... this is your way of finally getting larger maps...lol

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:17 pm

Hahaha MEAT.

Gopo and I were discussing some ideas a few weeks ago. I mentioned a weapon in the UT4Ever mod that I had wanted to turn into a deemer type mod. Gopo said to let him know more about it so I told him and sent the mod, The next day he had a working mod! he didn't use the actual weapon but actually let me customize a deemer to fit the needs of the mod. He and I see different about what will be enjoyed by the masses over the greater duration of time so he has his version on the test server now and I have one like it on my own test server. A few more tweaks and it will be time to start up another HOH server. The smaller and faster nukes makes for a whole different type of gameplay that I'm sure will greatly divide the masses but it will be something new, different and never seen before. Gopo tells me it was actually your idea to have the longer smoke trails. Great idea but after lots of testing last week I determined there is just simply a limit on how long they should be to look right and how long they can be without the trail disappearing at a unreal speed once the nuke is detinated. I have an idea that lots of cool ideas will spawn from this mod and I look forward to seeing what happens going forward.
~Peace~

Hermskii

MEAT

Post by MEAT » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:10 am

Hermskii wrote:I have an idea that lots of cool ideas will spawn from this mod and I look forward to seeing what happens going forward.
It's an old idea and one that needs mentioning...but how about making the game fair as in spawning?
For example in MH if you die, by way of monster, you're not spawned back to
where the action is (back to where the monsters are)...but you're spawned backed to a safe place.
I know I know the Redeemer maps on CG are so small that there are no safe places to respawn.
So....(hold your hat) how about spawn protection?
...It's fair and it gives everyone a fighting/fair chance.
...It detours spawn killing which is an issue UT wide.
...It may also eliminate spraying and cause players to get better.

Anyway, I'm all in favor of new and improved but only if you improve on it... :|

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:35 am

As I think it was MEAT once said:

"Spawnkilling only shows you know where the spawnpoints are"

Can we get some of that on MH?
I'm getting decidedly pissed off with monsters getting into the spawn room and slaughtering the puny, enforcer-wielding players.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:38 am

Thats actually something I have toyed with a great deal Bio. Its the mappers fault, but there isnt a good blanket way to deal with it with a mod.

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:58 pm

Unknown complications huh?

I keep getting that when I modify units in my BfW game.

*toys around with the summoner's abilities*
<ERROR DETECTED WITH ORCS>
"wtf!?"

Random problems, you gotta love computers...

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:33 pm

Well the problem is setting a "halo" of protection around spawnpoints. Some maps have the monsterspawns so close (Maybe on the other side of a wall or right above on another floor) that adding an area of protection would crash the game as the monsters cant be moved away.
My current idea on it is modding a configurable protection time of around 3 seconds when you spawn, but making your weapon be instagib damage so you can clear the immediate area if its overwhelmed. I'm having some problems replacing the weapon default damage though, so this may not be the right tack on the issue.
I also thought of making the spawnpoints immediate gib the monster if they touch them or come too close. Not sure about that one, but I would value any ideas on how to deal with this.