333Networks UT99 Master Server List - News...

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: 333Networks UT99 Master Server List - News...

Post by Hermskii » Tue May 04, 2010 9:26 pm

What I got out of that was that it was in fact NexGen's fault. Did I miss something?
~Peace~

Hermskii

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Tue May 04, 2010 9:33 pm

You missed the whole thread. :lol:

It was Linux's fault that can't handle more than 2 master servers at once, thus if you try to add a third custom one (in this case the 333Networks one) there's a good chance your server could crash.
Plain Old Telephone Service

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Tue May 04, 2010 10:59 pm

Pots the spec bug is an easy fix, but honestly I just don't want to compile the whole nexgen and plug-ins to fix that one thing. I had thought of maybe working in the nexgen but I'm just not sure I have the time.

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Wed May 05, 2010 8:33 am

*POTS* wrote:Mystery solved:
face wrote:
Linux has a issue with masterservers if you try to logon to more then 2!
Windows does not.
Actually I don't know if that statement by face is correct or not - right or wrong, we still have a few facts that seems to blow that right out of the water.
All the following servers mentioned are Linux Servers hosted by GameServers.com...
Your own server {MHMIII} was Originally running good, and we had 5 (five) Masters that all successfully bound in it.
AND...
There was {CKD}, {CMM}my server, and now also {CLD} - They are all Linux and they ALL ran, or still run, those same 5 Masters - including 333Networks with no problems.
{CKD} also ran NexGen which, when originally installed, had problems until somebody associated with that server tweaked NexGen's settings. I can't remember the guys name, but he seemed to know a lot about NexGen and how to tweak its settings.
{CKD} ran Very good after that - and with those same 5 Master Servers.
That is 4 servers that all ran good with 5 Master Servers running on the GameServer's Linux system!
And there are more also.
Hermskii wrote:What I got out of that was that it was in fact NexGen's fault. Did I miss something?
That is what I gathered also by scanning over that thread. (barring "face's" statement that seems to be untrue)
But to be sure I think it is Still a Mystery that merely points to a setting in Nexgen or maybe it is even a combination of things that are just right on {MHMIII} that maybe just causes an errant problem.
But, all these servers ran good with those 5 Masters that many of us (or all others?) still use without any problems.
TWO (2) of those servers added NexGen and then the crashing started.
One of them that added Nexgen was tweaked by a NexGen guru and it then continued to run Very Well with the 5 Master Servers.
I don't know - How is my logic here. :|

Question - Who Hosts Sir Mandrake's server? - He runs those masters also.

Also, just an FYI, {CG}, {MRS} and {MHM} also run with the 333Networks Master and probably other Master Servers also.
Fuzz_ball - What about your server?
Last edited by Hook on Wed May 05, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Wed May 05, 2010 11:37 am

Some NEWS...
Another Nifty thing I found out about 333Networks Master Server ...

Once you add 333Networks as a Master, 333Networks's Master puts your server into an array and reads your server's stats every time it updates itself.
You really do not even have to have 333Networks listed in your Server Actors in your UnrealTournament.ini file any more after that initial listing.
Once it is "recorded" by the 333Networks Master, you can remove 333Networks Master from your Server Actors Master List in your UnrealTournament.ini file.
The 333Networks's Master creator/Admin told me about the array and how it works.

333Networks's Master will still continue to display your server's Current Stats, even though you removed it from your Server Actors Master List in your UnrealTournament.ini file!
The above (Removal) portion is Based on that if you Notice that {MHMIII} is Still in 333Networks's Current Master List.
{MHMIII}'s admins removed 333Net's Master (and any other-than-stock Masters also) Later - after the crashing problem it had when NexGen was added to the server.
This is good! :wink:
No need to even Bind with 333Networks's Master after the first time. :P
(I am assuming this Based on {MHMIII}'s removal of this and it is still working, and also because of what the 333Net's admin/creator told me about their master using the arrays)

It also performs a check on your server in that if it is UP and Running it WILL be displayed.
If your server is Down (Not running), your server will Not be displayed in their Master Listing - until you restart your server again of course.

To Summarize the point here...
So, IF you are one of those server admins that are holding out and are still Afraid to add any non-stock Master Servers to your UT99 server, you can now "have your cake and eat it too"! :wink:
But, so far, Only with 333Network's Master Server!
Add 333Net's Master in - restart your server - then remove it again! Simple Solution for those admins that are holding out and are still Afraid! LOL
But leave it in by all means if you don't have any trouble (and you probably won't) like the rest of us. :P
Like I said before - IF, on an Outside Chance you ever would have a problem with a non-stock Master Server, just remove it and no harm done! :wink:

AND, Do Not Forget...
333Networks's Master also works with your UT Game Browser - or at least it did the last time *POTS* checked it.
If it doesn't, the creator told me that he would fix it, but I am sure it still works after he created the FULL version Master now.
This is even Better! :P

NOTE: I will keep an EYE on this to make sure that this post is true and update it if any information changes or becomes incorrect! :wink:

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:56 am

Hook wrote:
face wrote:
Windows does not.
Actually I don't know if that statement by face is correct or not - right or wrong, we still have a few facts that seems to blow that right out of the water.

One of them that added Nexgen was tweaked by a NexGen guru and it then continued to run Very Well with the 5 Master Servers.
First off, Face knows more about UT than Herm and I combined, with a dash of Ferali thrown in. I'd nearly accept his opinion as gospel. If he says there is a linux issue, you can take it to the bank.

Also Nexgen has nothing to do with this. When trying to track down the source of the original crashes I removed the entire non-standard serveractor/serverpackage list (as I always do when troubleshooting). It still crashed on a vanilla load of normal DM.

Hook I respect your work but I think you are endorsing something here without fully understanding it. I see the posts around the UT community and it's becoming increasingly hard to ignore the indirect jabs you are making at me over the MHM3 server. I'd like to point out a few things:
* I know about UT. A lot. If I don't know it directly, I know where to look or ask to find it out.
* I have set up (likely) a hundred servers.
* I've written code to create gametypes in the master server and list them correctly.
* I know how mods work, why they conflict, and how to fix them when they do.

I'm not trying to sound all self-indulgent here, but I want people reading this thread to understand me too. This master server crashed MHM3 on a vanilla load of DM. That was enough for me, I uninstalled it and never looked at it again. I don't really care about the "why" only that it "did". Considering my resume', I'd appreciate it if you'd stop insinuating that I may not know what I'm doing both here and in other forums. I know you *really* want this to be good, but it is what it is, and questioning the validity of the people around you who question the 333 master is uncool. Let's stick to facts here.

Finally, this whole master server thing is just simply unneeded. The stock masterlisting does just fine.

Hook

Post by Hook » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:48 pm

gopostal wrote:
Hook wrote:
face wrote:
Windows does not.

First off, Face knows more about UT than Herm and I combined, with a dash of Ferali thrown in. I'd nearly accept his opinion as gospel. If he says there is a linux issue, you can take it to the bank.

Also Nexgen has nothing to do with this. When trying to track down the source of the original crashes I removed the entire non-standard serveractor/serverpackage list (as I always do when troubleshooting). It still crashed on a vanilla load of normal DM.

Hook I respect your work but I think you are endorsing something here without fully understanding it. I see the posts around the UT community and it's becoming increasingly hard to ignore the indirect jabs you are making at me over the MHM3 server. I'd like to point out a few things:
* I know about UT. A lot. If I don't know it directly, I know where to look or ask to find it out.
* I have set up (likely) a hundred servers.
* I've written code to create gametypes in the master server and list them correctly.
* I know how mods work, why they conflict, and how to fix them when they do.

I'm not trying to sound all self-indulgent here, but I want people reading this thread to understand me too. This master server crashed MHM3 on a vanilla load of DM. That was enough for me, I uninstalled it and never looked at it again. I don't really care about the "why" only that it "did". Considering my resume', I'd appreciate it if you'd stop insinuating that I may not know what I'm doing both here and in other forums. I know you *really* want this to be good, but it is what it is, and questioning the validity of the people around you who question the 333 master is uncool. Let's stick to facts here.

Finally, this whole master server thing is just simply unneeded. The stock masterlisting does just fine.
Sorry to hear from you this way - I really thought this was WAY behind us now and with no hard feelings.
I have talked with you since on the phone and you should know I intend No harm to anyone and also that I intend only for the best UT experience for everyone.
I am not putting down anything anybody "Knows" about UT, etc., I assure you.
I know that most of you know way more than I do! LOL :lol:
But also, I don't just accept anything anyone says as "Gospel", especially or mainly if I see otherwise.
What Face said about Linux may be true, or at least HAD been true at that time - 2006, but he didn't state that it was 333Net's master that crashes Linux servers either.
He was saying ANY Extra master servers (more than 2), crash a Linux server - ANY Extra master servers.
Also, the thread this is in had to do with Nexgen possibly being the problem, however Face hadn't seen the problem ever before using Nexgen and Frost said that he'd fix it in the next version of Nexgen 1.11.
But, like I said, we all know that Face's statement isn't correct - at least not anymore or at least with GameServers.com's Linux servers, as many of these servers have more than 2 masters - even 5 masters - and run good!
I am merely looking at the facts in this case - period.
I have the same feelings as you about these things.
I cannot "hold back" the facts that I see, just because of what somebody said.
No harm (jabbing) is/was intended at all.

I am interested in your findings about Nexgen - are you sure?
You REMOVED Nexgen and it still crashed using 333Net's master? (Please let me know)
Because in the MHMIII logs that were presented to me, the server crashed right when Nexgen was starting and the masters had all been resolved already.
When Nexgen was tweaked in Another Linux server I helped with before then, it didn't crash using 333Net's master - After tweaking.
I realize that this was only ONE server using Nexgen, and there MAY have been Other Tweaks too, as I didn't apply them.
Nexgen has a history of conflicts and also of being hard to tweak or set up with a lot of hidden and/or confusing functions, so I tend to say that Nexgen conflicted with something-> (maybe 333Net's master?) rather than 333Net's master causing the conflict.
But, all the rest of the servers that use 333Net's master work good, except MHMIII.
Well, almost...
Did you know that MHMIII Still uses 333Net's master? - Yep! (Albeit indirectly I must also state)
And runs great. (see explanation below) LOL ("Have your cake and eat it too", as I said)

As far as "Jabs" go - I am not sure what you are talking about. :|
You just stated that I have been posting about this (currently?) - I have not been.
I haven't posted on this subject for quite a while - since the beginning of May 2010 I believe.
I had only posted (any of this) on 4 forums total...
UT-Developement (yours), Here at HOH, UT99.org and my forum. (that is all I recall anyway - correct me if I am wrong)
And I also believe that I left this whole subject in quite a "Benign" and "You be the judge" attitude to it.
In fact, my last posts on this include the "Disclaimer" or "Warning" that YOU had asked me to post!!!
If someone is Still posting otherwise about this and is Using My name, let me know.
If I made ANY "jabs", back then, they were certainly unintended ones.
Sorry if I wrote anything that appeared as a "jab" to you or anyone else. (the nature of text only postings - How you read it)
I thought I was presenting facts is all.

Your statement above...
"Finally, this whole master server thing is just simply unneeded. The stock masterlisting does just fine."
...is one that I have virtually endorsed already - see my last post above yours - May 5th 2010 above in the green color.
It is all a Mute Point now because you can now add it and take it out and it still works! (see below - "I'll re-post it here...")
Except about this part -> "The stock masterlisting does just fine." - When they fail, I want to be ready!

I'll re-post it here...
To Summarize the point here...
So, IF you are one of those server admins that are holding out and are still Afraid to add any non-stock Master Servers to your UT99 server, you can now "have your cake and eat it too"! :wink:
But, so far, Only with 333Network's Master Server!
Add 333Net's Master in - restart your server - then remove it again! Simple Solution for those admins that are holding out and are still Afraid! LOL
333Net's Master will Still display your server on its listing, even if you remove it from your server.
It keeps the servers in an array and only removes them when neccessary under certain circumstances, like an IP change, etc.
But leave it in your server by all means if you don't have any trouble (and you probably won't) like the rest of us. :P
Like I said before - IF, on an Outside Chance you ever would have a problem with a non-stock Master Server, just remove it and no harm done!
:wink:

And also...
NOTE: I will keep an EYE on this to make sure that this post is true and update it if any information changes or becomes incorrect! :wink:
NEW - One thing that I will note about 333Net's master listing - it at times can be a bit sluggish in displaying the servers online.
I gotta mention this to the admin there to see if he can remedy this.
But, I don't think this affects the servers.

Anyway, No hard feelings at all here Gopo.
Like I said, this was Old news - I haven't posted on this in months.
If you see New Posts by someone using my name, (and Jabbing) :? - let me know Please!

UT Server Admins, all that I know of in my realm except MHMIII, are using this 333Net master and with no troubles. (So far)
MRS, CLD and CKD(both linux), MHM, CG, CMS, **U N I M A T R I X 0 1** NEW MONSTERHUNT!!(SirMandrake's also linux) and a Good number of other popular servers as well all use it.
If anybody has trouble with it - PLEASE let us all know!

No "jabs" were intended, I am sure of it, and I don't think anybody sees it that way (as jabs) either - I hope!
Later my friend. :P
(Oh, remember, let me know about Nexgen as I asked above. - was it actually Removed before testing?)

Fuzz_Ball

Post by Fuzz_Ball » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:51 pm

_ Image * * Image

Hook

Post by Hook » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:52 pm

Hey Fuzz_Ball - where you been lately?
Busy also?

LOL - the tan one on the left looks just like one of my cats! :P

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:59 pm

But that gray one sure looks good. I like its patterns. I don't have any cats but don't mind them either. My wife is alergic so we'll never have one. Getting 2 dogs soon though.

Back on topic; I too thought this was a dead topic and hopes it stays that way.
~Peace~

Hermskii