Got Unreal Engine?

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
Prowner

Got Unreal Engine?

Post by Prowner » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:38 pm

I wanted to know if anybody here has the "Unreal Engine" that would be willing to attempt to set up a download file for it on the forums, because I've heard that it's used to create games, movies and other stuff so I REALLY would love to use it! :D
I love using game designer programs such as Unrealed 2.0 and macromedia flash, so I'm a game designer type of guy.

The biggest issue is... Money. :| I've heard that this thing ranges to like $3,000 to get it. :shock: I would really like to find a way to just get it for a cheaper price or for free.

Even if you have the "Unreal Engine" and you're not willing to set up a download, I still would like it if you posted a reply saying you have it so I can ask questions about it. Thanks. :wink:
I will either save you or kill you, convince me otherwise.

ZippityDooDa

Re: Got Unreal Engine?

Post by ZippityDooDa » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:45 pm

Hey buddy i think you mean the Unreal Development Kit, which is actually free. not sure what u meant about it being 3,000? Thats a little steep but here is the link
I use all editors and this is the lates UDK
http://www.udk.com/news-beta-aug2010

Have any more questions hit me up at jason_keller@mmi.net I'll be on all nite.
11100000.11111111.11111111.00000000 /24

Prowner

Post by Prowner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:26 am

Well I downloaded it after like an hour and a half, so now I need to know. How do I run the installation file? I downloaded it, but it doesn't know what to run it to make it work. Maybe I sadly and hopefully didn't downloaded the wrong thing? Just to be sure, could you tell me which one you downloaded? :|

ZippityDooDa

Post by ZippityDooDa » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:51 am

Well I use the Ut3 editor but try this link
http://www.gamershell.com/download_62224.shtml it has the installer for UDK, let me know if you have any more issues, file is about 760megs
11100000.11111111.11111111.00000000 /24

Prowner

Post by Prowner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:23 am

Alright, awesome! I'll try it as soon as I get home......... I'm using the school computer.
:mrgreen: :twisted:

Feralidragon

Post by Feralidragon » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:25 am

I think he said it right, he's talking about the Unreal Engine itself (the 1.x version), and it can be used for anything you want.

But there are problems: really expensive, and Epic no longer sells it. The only one they sell is the Unreal Engine 3, and the one is free is the UDK, but you can't use anything from the UT game on it (unlike in the case of a mod, where you can use anything from UT1, UT2004 and even UT3), you have to create everything from scratch, except the items which already come with the UDK, plus everything you do there must be free, you can't sell anything, unless you pay a fee or make a small business with Epic if the product is that good.

Also, no one in the community has it. If someone had it, people would be able to make the largest patch in history, making the Unreal Engine 1 surpassing even the Unreal Engine 2 and even implementing a few features that not even Unreal Engine 3 has.
As for Epic, they say they no longer have it, which is a lie of course, they just won't give it to anyone.

UDK seems to be good, but not that good (personally I would prefer to make a mod to UT3 rather than build something in UDK, at least I could use their stuff as a base, do the same thing and even comercialize it if it got really apreciated).