The IP is mocking me!

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
EvilGrins
NoMoreSpam: Silver

The IP is mocking me!

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:10 pm

I got a little distracted from my previous goal of hosting games. Other than email, my online fascinations are UT99 and roleplaying on twitter. Yeah, 140 character limit me damned! People RP on twitter. This current storyline is fun:

http://twitter.com/BlueBirdTabloid/wte

...but I digress.

My situation is this; I have 1 computer. Technically two but the other doesn't have wireless or any kind of internet connection and is REALLY old. Still runs Windows '98. Plus, lacking a monitor it's kinda useless. So I'll be hosting from the computer I play on, no dedicated server. Probably, best then, when/if I get to hosting I stick to less than 10 players at any one time.

My IP knowledge is much like my knoweledge of cars, which is you put gas in and it goes. All I know about IP for certain is that it doesn't work when the computer is off. Somehow the whole thing seems more complicated now than back when, cuz in 2001 I hosted games online with no effort whatsoever...

...different computer, different times.

OKAY:
I followed Hermskii's online guide and now I don't see myself in the LAN window, when looking at servers, anymore. That may or may not be a good thing. I know what my original LAN IP was, kept it in a text file. Also, at the direction of a friend, I looked up 3 different IP detection sites to find out what my online IP should be. They all agreed so I'm trusting that's the one I need to host from.

I just don't know how to set it up so that my games make it to the public servers so othr people can come into my computer, so to speak, and get blown all to crap by the various monsters I've got running around on here.

I've been collecting creature packs for a few years, I've got some I don't think many have seen. Mostly for Deathmatch games, via MonsterSpawn. I'm not a mapper and don't know how to edit one so they just happen to be a part of it.

By the by, I'm on wireless...if that's significant.

So...help? :?:

On a random note:
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/29765.html

Hermskii
Site Admin

Re: The IP is mocking me!

Post by Hermskii » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:42 pm

OK! You have provided lots of good information already. Hopefully, I won't require too much more to get you going. The worst part of this for me is that I don't know if you have already screwed up anything so bad already that nomatter what we do here, it won't work.

Let's cover a few basic items. Did you post this message here from the PC that you want to run the server from? By asking this, I'm just making sure the server PC can hit and surf the internet which will confirm network features are working.

Did you open all of the ports that I said needed to be open in your firewall? What is your operating system that this server computer uses? Is it windows XP? What is the ip address the programs said you use? Mine is 98.197.145.227. Can you ping mine? I'd like to ping yours. This would confirm our computers can reach each other for communications.

Try your best to answer everything I have asked. Last question, is there any reason why you can't start a fresh new install of UT? Doing so would remove plenty of doubt I have about not knowing what all you have and have not already modified already in your current installation. Starting from the ground up would be much easier for me to figure out what is wrong is what I'm saying. Let me know. Peace!
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:49 pm

Let's assume I may've opened up a few ports and possibly messed things up.

Yeah, same computer. I've been playing online with this comp so I know the internet is working fine.

Windows XP

Wireless connection.

I could install it again, I've go the Discs. I'm hesitant as I don't wanna mess up what I've got going already. Probably mild paranoia on my part.

How do I ping? I used to know.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:19 pm

If you are playing with that PC then we don't need to ping anything.

To save your current setup, all you would need to do is name your current C:\UnrealTournament folder to C:\UnrealTournament1 or maybe just add the word Original to it like C:\UnrealTournamentOriginal. Once that is done, you can install a hole new setup to the default original location which the disk will choose to do anyways which is c:\UnrealTournament. After we figure out what the problem is on the new install, all we have to do is nuke the new install and rename the C:\UnrealTournamentOriginal back to C:\UnrealTournament. Easy!

You can't mess things up opening ports. All that can do is leave you more open for attack by hackers. That said, I'd guess ports are not your issue unless you still haven't opened up all of the right ones.

I have a few more questions. What is your antivirus program? Do you use a software firewall like Norton Internet Security or McAffee Internet Security? How about Zone Alarm?

Hmmm...I just tried to ping you and could not but that is OK still. Answer my new questions please and get those install disk out too please!
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:14 am

I actually have no anti-virus software currently. The firewall is the standard one that comes with Windows XP.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:40 pm

Okay, so I busted out the Unreal Anthology package (it's Unreal, UT99, UT2, UT2k4) and tried running a game as a test. It's showing up as a LAN and that's it.

Comparatively after doing your manual, my normal UT99 setup doesn't show up on in the Master server directory or LAN anymore.

Do I need to setup multiple ports or just one, in general?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:10 pm

The way the manual is written, you can both set up the server as a dedicated server or a listening server where you can play on it as it is advertised to others to play on it as well. In fact, the manual explains how you can run several servers from 1 PC and play on them too.

Are you sure you're following the directions in the manual? I have never run a server from a wireless connection but I do have a full understanding behind the networking behind doing so and it should work but you and other players will likely experience bad lag if not complete disconnects from time to time. This may be about my last question before I go full force on getting this to work for you. Do you have a cat5 cable also known as a network cable that can be connected between the laptop and your router or internet connection? Please give me the list of ports you opened or forwarded on the router too. Be sure to tell me right away if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Check your messages here too. I'm about to send you a message.
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:28 am

More as I can get it, about to hit the sack.

I do not know where the router is. I'm getting wireless from my landlord and don't know his setup details, not that I'm sure if he'd be willing to share those details were I to ask.

Beginning to think I may just have to give up on this hosting thing altogether.

Hey, any idea why I could setup a game without any effort back in 2000 but not now?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:28 am

Yeah, if we can't get to the router to open ports then you are doomed to serve the game at all. That explains plenty. I think back in 2000 you were directly connected to the internet as was everyone with no firewall so all ports were open as though you were in a DMZ. That is why it used to work.

There is still a chance. Maybe the landlord didn't secure the router. If he didn't then reaching the management of the ports would be available. opening up a few ports on a unmanaged router should not be a big deal but I would not do that. You should let me see if I can get in to it and if I can then tell him I'll secure it for him if he let's you leave a few ports open. I wonder who else uses the router. You should look at your network neighborhood icon and see what other computers and shares are listed.
~Peace~

Hermskii