RocketX/Strangelove HUD Patch

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
*POTS*

RocketX/Strangelove HUD Patch

Post by *POTS* » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:50 am

Source: http://www.rosebum.com/helpful.html
This goes for any StrangeLove hud whether it be SLV2, SLV5 or any of the SLV6 updates (RocketX).
If what you see while riding looks like the image below, then you are missing the Fonts Patch.
This problem has driven me nuts for months. For a lucky coincidence, I had the SLV2 mod installed on my old laptop, so I never noticed this bug before.
Once I started playing on my new laptop, each time I joined a server running those SLV2/RocketX jets, the HUD was blank like the one in the pic. The problem occurs also in certain MH maps, since they use RocketX jets as well.

I thought it had something to do with the newer video drivers, the custom UT renderers and stuff, but nothing seemed to work. Until I found this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Plain Old Telephone Service

Nelsona
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Re: RocketX/Strangelove HUD Patch

Post by Nelsona » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Eh, would be better to be only this error. Usually these "SLV"s triggered me once to remove any map with any Rocket, but I saw not so many players playing such maps. The HUD is problem 1, problem 2 is water, if you launch a RocketX3 and throw it in water, suicide is the way to a new life LOL, you are stucked. Other class in strongly interfering with my Spectator HUD, any other redeemer or anything using HUD is OK, So, I think they are too messed. At least this is my opinion, I never though to put up a SLV server.
I'll check this new file to see what I have in Server, also redirect, I want to see what is using player connected.

Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Post by Hermskii » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:01 pm

Nice POTS.

Hey Nelsona, I notice that aften when your words get translated one of them translates tour the english word "Crap". Here, crap means poo-poo, excrement, #2, sh*t and several other words that do not come to mind right now.

Can you figure out what the word is that you are using that translates to crap and see if there is another word that means the same thing? As near as I can tell when I read your post and that word comes up, I think you are trying to say it is "broken" or "non-functional" or done wrong. Help me understand if you don't mind.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:57 am

Yea, I think is something like broken, Non-functional, noobish, any other. The conclusion is just a worse thing (I wasn't interested too much about fly in this UT). I think this is the result of desire to make some cheats more legal. Is a shooter game, fighting with enemy is the main purpose. There are Flight Simulator games and others with this purpose. In 2008 if I remember well, a few players leaved game because they died too many times in attempt to travel using SLV classes. Btw, my utx file is the same like posted by Pots. Even with that, using a 451 client with entire package installed (and more packages) HUD is ok. Using a 436 version without any rocketX3 installed, HUD is alterred. Maybe I'm wrong but this is what I saw in my system.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:54 pm

After installing that package clientside, the RocketX HUD seems to finally work for me.
BTW I'm using UT GOTY patched up to version 436.

I now wonder if adding the following line, under the ServerPackages section:
ServerPackages=SLV2Fonts

would make a difference online, and not force us installing that package.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:46 am

I am confused. If you add that server lin, you will force everyone to download it. Do people have to have it to fix the hud? If so, force them to download it.

If people can't wait for a high speed redirect downloads, UT will be doomed. Is there another way to get required files to players that I don't know about?
~Peace~

Hermskii

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:18 am

Hermskii wrote: I am confused. If you add that server lin, you will force everyone to download it.
Do people have to have it to fix the hud? If so, force them to download it.
The problem with this specific file is, even if a map "calls" it, cause someone added those jets to the map, and you'll have to download it and it will be stored in your cache, the HUD will not work online, unless you either have the SLV2 mod installed, or at least that font texture pack.

I *think* by adding it to the ServerPackages the problem *might* be solved, without forcing clients to install anything. On the other hand, it's another file added to the queue for the players joining the server for the first time.

If I recall right, you mentioned a long time ago about some health packs being invisible on your server cause a server-package line was missing. Think of this HUD-issue as something similar.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:37 am

Eh, so that is the problem. The package don't call correctly all files involved and need to be installed forced to make HUD ok. This is amusing me but I don't care about SLV any.

I'm even not interested to see the code because I don't feel the need to be frustrated by a "nice coding" and never releasing a fixed version after a lot of years of UT99...

A few years ago I was enough mad to have more and more packages just to be sure about server. But finally I realised what is mean a heavy loaded server and how unstable can be.

ServerPackages=...
40 lines of packages
ServerPackages=...

It looks awsome indeed.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:53 pm

Yes, I can understand your frustation here, I'm the first tired of wasting time trying to figure out why something that is supposed to work fine doesn't work for whatever reason.
Funny is, most people think those bugs are just a feature of the game.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:17 pm

I understand now. Thanks for clearing it up. It is a great question actually or dilema at least. My missing health was another issue all together but your answer still makes perfect sense to me. ChaosUT is sort of like this problem. I can redirect to players all the files they need to play ChaosUT but unless they install the mod, they'll never see the options in their UT Desktop options to set the keybind for the grapple hook for instance.

I would then have to suspect that even if you force the font download in your situation that it still won't work. Have you tested it? It seems like an easy enough test.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:41 am

Mr. Pots, is not a wasting if time to explain. After first explanation I understood what is about. As I mentioned, the way to have a correct HUD is to install Package, is like installing any other mod. The problem coming if exist other version which is mismatching a player, then everything will be so bad. And all these for a few data writed in HUD. RocketX3 so called KongLauncherVX is worse anyway. You don't want to drop it when you are in water... This is proving how great was coded. I admit I didn't tryed in a local game only, to see how is working without to call different Replications, of course if you jump from Rocket and physics are not checked according to zone indeed could be a problem by default.

As you told, is the same thing for me, too. I'm tired to see each time when I visit a place a great ideea to use useless packages. Those authors are like small kids. They made something bad and after that, a fast run away is the most common behavior, they leave UT, or they looking for different excuses. The same attitude is in designing so called pawns, whatever cool weaponry. What can I say about Game-Types. I visited that page moddb and I tested some works in hope to start a server with another mod. Nothing really interesting, errors, excuses, codes writed just to release an useless thing. I admit, even with errors, MH was one of those wild mods still practiced being 70% enough stable, not runing a server for 10 minutes and then freezing.
I was thinking to other game-type ideea but... is hard to complete such a work. Why ? Because different "smart" guys will ask if is compatible with mod x mod y and mod z. And you cannot blame an author for an incorrect code done by other one which is blocking the main mod or even cause a HALT.

Each time I wander why I need to read:
"This mod is compatible with ... ?" Everybody intend to make a soup in server and later are wandering about errors.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:45 am

I think is not part of this topics, but I want to tell you something.

I was asked for a kind of UTJMH to be compatible with NWII. You see, this is impossible.
As long as client have thousands of errors in LOG, my mutator cannot do something to fix this. I was intended to bring back lost stuff in MH not to make a mutators soup.