Annoying Invisible Movers

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
*POTS*

Annoying Invisible Movers

Post by *POTS* » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:25 pm

Just noticed in some maps movers (sliding doors, elevators, and stuff like that) do enjoy becoming partially or even totally invisible at random.

This is especially true for BT maps, which use movers a lot (think of those nasty little blocks dropping down into lava/acid/nitrogen pits as soon as you jump on one of them).

Is there a technical explanation for this? Why does it tend to happen more often on-line? Why not all players can experience this glitch at the same time in the same measure?

After some searching all I've found is this:
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 1265435417
Plain Old Telephone Service

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: Annoying Invisible Movers

Post by Hermskii » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:35 pm

For both Leo and Great Emerald to wonder the same is amazing. I think of this happening with elevators mostly. I have not noticed the others. There is that giant titan in the one map that flat out goes away as soon as you start shooting him but he's still there and throwing rocks at you too. But he isn't a mover. I fear your search must continue.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Feralidragon

Post by Feralidragon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:15 am

Before you rebuild the BSP, order all the movers in the map to the last, so they can be the last thing the BSP rebuilder processes.
This generally fix any invisible mover bugs, they can still happen a few times depending in how you build them, but most movers shouldn't have a problem anymore.

As for invisible titans and others online, that's a relevancy problem (replication). If the server thinks that a certain actor (either a pawn or other) is not relevant to the player, it's simply not rendered at all as no info is sent about it.
In the case of titans, it just takes their location (center of their body) to be hidden from you behind some BSP wall or something, for it to disappear since technically the engine thinks the titan is not visible to you (the engine does not take the size or collision of actors into account for this). This is not noticeable with other pawns since they are small therefore the distance between the center of their meshes and the edges is far lesser so they're generally visible, but on titans they are so big that if something hides this point, it becomes invisible.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:59 am

Another knowledgeable person told me about the same things, that is, it is a replication issue. Thank you both for the detailed explanations, and sorry for the late reply, but I'm slow lately.

As for the invisible monsters, I've noticed that glitch myself a lot when playing MH online. The skaarj troopers in Minas Tirith immediately came to my mind as a typical example.
Plain Old Telephone Service