Why server CRASH?

mars007
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue

Why server CRASH?

Post by mars007 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:32 pm

BINGO!

One my test is pass...

MH_RelicInvulnerable + UT_Invisibility is nice way to server CRACH.

I try used for test both on map MH-AircraftCarriers-vb-2b1 5 times.

What hapend all 5 times? 5 server crach...

I first use MH_RelicInvulnerable then later UT_Invisibility when be more
MH_RelicInvulnerable active...
- Monster Hunt -

Nelsona
extraextraantispam: Yes

Re: Why server CRACH?

Post by Nelsona » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:07 am

Crash ?

Take a look at Relic code and Invisibility code. Question: If we are invisible in MonsterHunt, a monster is blind and cannot see us ? Bullshit, this invisibility used in MH mod has not any logic, just make players to be frustrated by a cool invisible dude. You should replace it with a shieldbelt more usefull.

Don't work your brain for this. Just remove invisibility any, is useless.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Introduction ?
Your last work was enough well done, Mr. Mars. So, you don't need to be worried about small flaws. I noticed other server in Germany (backup or aditional slots ? - maybe is better).
Introduction ended.

Well, I posted something at your forum related to a trouble. Do not forget to make some fine tuning or else server will crash and you won't be able to find the cause.

Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Post by Hermskii » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:30 pm

I think there is a long history of trouble with invisibilty and certain mods. Plain and simple. Either fix the issue or do as Nelsona suggest (which I agree with) and get rid of it. Don't break your server trying to make it work!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:10 am

This is true, but is other problem related to server not mod. I had the same issue. Last time (shame to me) I was busy looking at UnrealShare package to attack MH controler in other manner and I wasted time with some things, I should do more checks at server chapter ... this ... hm ... maybe is better to keep a bit private this discussion. A server just launched without some small tweaks can crash unexpected and nobody can see why.

Sir Mandrake
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No

Re: Why server CRASH?

Post by Sir Mandrake » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:12 pm

Server crash or MH Crash... There is a difference. MH is a tempermental beast....take caution when running other mods with MH. If MH crashes and you cant figure out why then its best to undo the last thing you did. Im proud to say My Server never crashes.... Its got the MH game running on one port, and a DM game running on another. MH crashes 2 or 3 times a month. I have to check it daily and restart MH if needed. However my server itself and the DM game has been up 264 days, and 5 hours....with no crashes.

So my advice is do your best to work out your issues if you add things to MH, but be prepared to admit defeat and back down if the beast complains.

My MH uses goRelics and works pretty well.. no invisibility. I recall trying invisibility once during the build... Monsters saw me anyway LOL so I said, to heck with this... toss...
--- END OF LINE ---

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:31 pm

True, MH is a wild mod, is developed like JailBreak by non-Epic coders or other custom games without to know engine stories. Some MH mods don't have enough relevancy on monsters, others even monsters missing from maps, other have a crappy load of stuffs not so good, defaults incorrect classes done by Epic coders themselves - all these applying constant hits to a server cannot deliver other results than crashes. I've done a different controller implemented also in Mars version (a modified Gold). This can be harmfull in a few maps (all kind of stupid ideeas - including using sdkEngine for mapping with a never released Linux version), but is not this. I contacted Mars in private and I showed the trouble. Sometimes services seems to heavily accept altering of important files even with exploits.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:01 am

And I forgot something... I played temporary some games delivered by MrLoathsome more exactly common UT games made especially for play adding monsters. I configured spwning of some 30-40 monsters in a such a CTF game (played often). This brought some action both teams having troubles with monsters. Yea, leaded by BerserkMonsters3.0 (runing as actor) they are interested in killing everything that moves doesn't mater which team is around. MonsterSpawn constantly keept this action all time (20 minutes). More times score tied (1-1, 0-0). Good!
In fact what I want to say, and is important - these game-types won't spam client and server with errors and the most important thing, game not crashed yet (server).
This is possible because of reduced number of actors and a normal fight without to use all kind of boost tools and thousands of actors, yea the hard load in a server increasing chances for a crash, also MonsterSpawn has integrated much better monsters recoded to avoid errors during combat states.

I don't know when I'll want the return to a MH server - I was disgusted by console almost each map. Bad configured movers even in 2012, missing paths and stakeout states of monsters, spam delivered by factories, clowns called monsters incorrect done, etc.

So, why the server is crashing ? Other answer-question: Why to not crash ? Smile, is just a new refresh :D.

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Yeah, wasn't MH developed by some Japanese coder - and with pretty "shakey" code? :|
I remember in the old days you had to download it from a Japanese website with no English, and the readme was in Japanese also. :shock:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:06 pm

No. It was a guy named Shrimp and when you consider what he did manage by himself with MonsterHunt you realize he did pretty good. Here we are about 10 years later after mods have twisted this mod into something entirely new and we are complaining about stuff that doesn't work that for him maybe wasn't supposed to be messed with in the first place.

Consider this. There were no damage amplifiers back then. No UTJMH mods. You weer supposed to get the whole map done with 30 lives. No extra health. no extra ammo. Just you verses the map with a team of folks hopefully.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:10 am

Yea, Shrimp was author but reached at 5.03 version and still incorrect done. Default replacement used alterred SkaarjOfficer and even created other errors in controller funtions. For him, NaliRabbit was a ScriptedPawn which is not true at all, is just a stupid FlockPawn never scored or described at kill messages. Also for testing "skilled" monster he used the shadow decal but unable to bring it on line, he didn't knew to replicate a decal without RemoteRole even changing this with a mutator will see how wrong was done for Network (trashes shadows remaining on ground after monster death). At weaponry chapter I didn't found A.I. instructions for ScriptedPawns Weapon-Holders (awsome Skaarj). For Monster vs Monster damage I guess he didn't knew to deal with ReducedDamage function.
The function AddToTeam is other mess. We have a single team 0 but he added an else condition copied from Botpack without thinking 3 minutes. And the list can continue until next Christmas...

UTJMH was the first attempt to fix some things. That default setting for mover by example. A mover returned when was triggered once only inducted a map break and Sayonara Finish, pls vote to continue.

But this trash named coding was protected creating a deliberated error and also removing striped code to not be understood well by modders. For this reason (and without a serious documentation) this game-type as a good ideea started to be a mess. A bunch of "cool dudes" started something called mapping without to understand what is about. I didn't see many maps using directly integrated weaponry, some smart portations from SP without end are still messing servers after good years.
Nobody understood how messed was and the need for an updated version ? Oki doki then. I can play other games with monsters without to crash server.
Last edited by Nelsona on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:33 am

You know Nelsona...I have the MH Code. Do you want it? You could fix everything you just mentioned right? Let me know...
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:51 am

I have a source-code (I don't know if is original one) I worked changing things into some classes. Problem is MonsterHunt.u × 10 times improved = Mismatch everybody - MonsterSeeker was not so downloaded to avoid mismatches and nobody called it as something good or worse, so I see no interest for improvements from anybody...

Other kind of MH runing ? Good and bad. More fixes, different codes, but some maps won't work as should since is called MonsterHunt.MonsterHunt game-type not others, also causing some maps to not work (small number - but I want something almost perfect). Last version used by me was MH_SHDWS_A enough well done but not perfect.

So, I wait to see version 6, or I'll do it for me anyway (off-line).

I have other thing to solve - The Real Bot Support for MH. Yea, this is one of hard things but I think I'll do it finally...

I forgot to talk about this chapter - Making Bot to run to a Keypoint is a bit stupid. Bot is interested about pawns life-forms not craps. Freelance order is a DM order, wrong for attack. SetAttraction almost will be suppressed in this case. He he, looks like a preschool kid coded this .... . Also I'm not agree with CanSee function. A bigger monster sometimes is ignored if is not entirely shown. Maybe I'm wrong but I had a different code anyway.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Back from work and continuing chapter maybe in wrong place this time.

If we have a pawn (FortStandard, Flag, etc.) declaring this as enemy and making attraction for this any pawn the bot will be mad to kill him, especially aggressive bots.

I was thinking maybe in a wrong direction but can be a point. I intented to spawn a kind of FlockPawn (inocent in a way for a monster - Monster won't attack such a freak - maybe in infected with AIDS :P), this kind of pawn designed as a stationary one (like Tentacles), invisible (a bot can see it anyway) with some hacked codes from FortStandard to have a trigger behavior. This little "pawn" will be placed almost replacing MonsterWayPoint and spying the order of attack Position 1 to X (maybe imune at human proximity to not be touched in a stupid order by a mad player - only bot purpose). Setting a pawn with Hate as an enemy for bot, our dude will be interested in defeating it.

Now: Problems are as follows:
- I'm not expert in designing such a thing but I think I can try at least to have a party;
- I didn't see anyone interested in completing Bot support for this game-type;
- This can be good or bad ? The very skilled bot can perform his mission making the player to be a lame spectator doing nothing;
- In other way the bot can be a good friend to support player in harder maps;
- Other behavior must be done even related to direct contact to a boss meant to open the next way - this won't be so easy.
I think our bosses 1 to maybe more need to be placed in a list (some array) to have the option later in attraction to set all bots in attack if one of them is close to that boss. Hard, need to be only bosses with walk capabilities not fliers or else this can be forget.

And Chapter II is related to monster support (this is easier since monsters are by default stupid instructed, but right at point), this means everybody is relaxed until to start game, later, after start some monsters are suddenly mad and will start to race at player's location to take him down and his friend bot. How can be done this ? Not so hard.

But I think I'll stop spaming here... Is just useless - maybe some dudes from EPIC know better A.I. side and how to conserve A.I. handlers to not crash server with 500 angry brains.