What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

This can't be good...

Post by Hermskii » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:18 am

Take a look and let me know what you think or know about this decision:

http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/post ... tml#p11535

As I mentioned at HOOK's place I hope to get some good reasons for this action.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Re: This can't be good...

Post by Nelsona » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:58 pm

Hm, I don't know exactly a reason, I hope to not be close to my reason(s):

Can be on or more like these ?:
- Logs from servers reporting "quality" maps even after years of "experience" :cry: ;
- Low money resources to keep up a server for up-mentioned quality;
- Players trouble-makers vs native UT problems;
- others.

Eh, I'm just wandering around. Maybe in summer or autumn (depends on free time) will start a kind of UT - MH game but ... in a different form (temporary), different controller, etc. But as I said "maybe" depends on real life with or without problems... Who knows ? I cannot predict the future...

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:32 pm

He has mentioned money before being an issue. I have a PM to look at I just noticed. Maybe it is him. Maybe not.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Money or even complains. Some players seems to not love this MH type. Nobody asked them to play at Mars anyway. Noobs are invited in many other places if they are unable to kill some flies using normal stuff. Yea, you hear me ... go and play in other noob places if Mars didn't have a good MH, Mr. "player".

Or maybe you need to enjoy some servers like this one:
Refused.JPG
Because some of you are looking only for bad stuff. Things which works normal are not wanted...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:53 pm

So is someone giving him a hard time? I can't imagine mars007 shutting down just because somebody complained.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Complains + hunting bugs + low money + bad maps (I won't post here what Mars007 told me in private because we have some diplomacy and we respect rules...) = Maybe Give Up.

Of course is hard to completely stop playing MH. I found a replacement, I think Mars found a replacement as well. So, everybody is happy: Mars - can do different things with a minimum coding experience; Players - won't be frustrated by a good MH, can play other types of MH. I already noticed today aprox. 38 MH servers (were 40 counting Mars007's servers of course), 4 months ago were 48÷50 servers, even in some days 52 servers. Why admins are giving up ? I don't need to post an answer.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:43 pm

Yes you do! Post it or actually send it to me in a PM or an email. I want to know why people are stopping.
~Peace~

Hermskii

mars007

Post by mars007 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:17 am

I config Sniper Arena last night on Lucifurs {CLD} server.
Quastion?
Why my "old" regular player follow me there?
I only sorry good team people, realy great persons.
Why send me PM other now?
Server not working 24 hour...
Have lots other MH servers for play.

I sleep 4 - 5 hour on day for UT99 game.
For what?

Why do good people always turn out the bad?
Lucifur gave me his own account Assign a voice server for my MH.
Others might use the opportunity to abuse it.
What I have come up with?
Donated to {CMM} and {CLD} server.

But okey...
Maby bad move form my side to stop server.

Not need comment more here.
For 10 days forget me... I know.
:)
- Monster Hunt -

mars007

Post by mars007 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:22 am

THANKS for all:
Hermskii, Hook, Lucifur, Nelsona.
You are great and big person for me.

Thanks guys...
- Monster Hunt -

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:13 am

Hermskii wrote:Yes you do! Post it or actually send it to me in a PM or an email. I want to know why people are stopping.
Here, we talked about "maps", Mr. Pots even told what is about with these "new or less new creations".

Let's see. I was looking for a place with a kind of tutorial for admins. I expected to see some screenshots and titles showing bad things from maps and solutions. This kind of Web Page not exist. Even in other forums you can see all kind of idiots posting something like "is a cool map" this until they see bad things and suddenly are changing mind, even run away. The most of maps don't have any small small logic, this is not a the bigest problem, the problem can be stuff (crash server or client), stupid BSP holes unable to be fixed even in versions like v02 or v03, I need to dig deeper in my garbage to see exactly some titles if I didn't removed them already... Also triggers wrong placed with wrong collision and set only for spam words writed in engilshe (deliberated not writed english),
trapped zones making suicide to be the only way to escape, bad ideeas to alter some monsters making them dumbasses, etc × 183524 times... eh.

For mapping, I have questions:
Mr. "Mapper" did you ever heard in your life about some things like these:
- SkaarjOfficer - WeaponType: MonsterHunt.OLRazorJack even MonsterHunt."anyclass"- I'll bet in MH with some normal mods won't mess weapon any more;
- bHateWhenTriggered ? What means this ? Aaa, your tutorial is in other language than english and you cannot understand it ?;
- AlarmPoint - not works in MH ? I'll bet you don't have ideea what can do such thing;
- BlockMonsters - you are an expert with this stupidity - all noobs are camping shooting at a blocked monster and bot won't ever pass that area;
- Trigger - TriggerType - TT_PawnProximity ? This say nothing ? Or TT_ClassProximity vs ClassProximityType = ScriptedPawn, oh, you even don't know what is ScriptedPawn ? Great, have fun with ilogic spam...
- MonsterEnd - bInitiallyActive = False, InitialState=OtherTriggerTurnsOn, Tag=SomeWord, OtherTrigger - Event=SomeWord --- Your freaky map ending without kill all monsters is pissing me off and I'm gona ruin your crap especially for myself enjoying Off-Line quality, yea you hear me, I won't respect this trash keeping a server opened with such originality.

... split
Last edited by Nelsona on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:29 am

... split

- Ok, now I don't have skills and time to waste looking at textures and walls how are designed, surfaces. I worked a lot of hours to see ON-LINE shadow decal and to set other difficulty technology, but in a few maps I cannot see it at all (ask mapper what did there), such a map crashed server as well due to our old visibility troubles...
___
Sometimes I was amused to see something like this in a download section: MAPPackXX - Oh really ? No joking, right ?
___

- Bot pathing (Monster pathing)- 80% of you - mappers - I think never heard of A.I. paths, yea dudes, paths are good for monsters (by default) as well not only for bots but you don't know these beautifull things. "Bots don't like teleports" said "a mapper" - Really ? Where did you get this stupid ideea ? Even monsters can use teleports (you can do this if you have even a tinny brain - but you don't have, right ?).
I don't want to be bad to put up links related to mapping and retarded posts in forums. Maybe a few guys noticed what people want. I played once a bad map fixed for some action with a player and that man asked me why in this map we have some action and we don't have in others. Only Mappers know why they are throwing bullshits ON-LINE to fill servers with trashes. What they want ? End Of MH ? Maybe...

...split

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:50 am

...split

Like me, Mars had a mod for server which is logging some fixations done to avoid a map break or even cheating. When you look at such log when a map is loaded, I think you may get mad... May I talk about ScriptWarnings ? Maybe not.
Is not enough to see "experts" from Epic designing A.I., but now we have modders mappers boosting all craps to engine limits and even more.

But I think is time to end story and to not talk about decision to stop a MH server, we talk only if is necesary.

mars007

Post by mars007 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:25 pm

I back again server on request player.
I not want hurt nobody.
Cannot read messages more of people...
I back server only for them.
I hope newer hapend that ... again.
Special thanks to player Ramleen to back me here in UT99 live.
That is realy last time.
I realy now undestand what Nelsona say me...
- Monster Hunt -

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:26 pm

Good, my advice is to keep server for a while, even not always good things may happen, take breaks, put your homeworks on paper. Check logs and do your job as needed.

When you see in server more logs showing bad things, don't mess action, just remove maps - note their names on paper to never put them back.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:47 am

This story is "deja vu" to me.

I know this might not be important, but however I'd like to share my personal experience.

Being a full-time admin can be really something time-consuming, and can stress the hell out of you. You just don't have to simply deal with broken maps, redirect issues, obsolete mods and server crashes, but also with the players' complaints.

Yes, you would rarely see someone making his/her congratulations for your work, it's just easier to complain for something not working. You need to do it all and quickly!

Take it easy, we're not machines, and if a map/mod gives you excessive troubles just dump it, it's way easier than make 100 mods/mutators work at the same time just cause every single player wants that special feature cause "it's so dang cool" and "they saw it on the ABC server already so why we can't have it in here too".

Do it at your pace, check the logs for bad players ONLY if someone complains about something, don't spend your time checking them all 24/7, it will drive you crazy in no time.

Try also to keep just quality maps (that is, no spam, no cubic rooms with default lighting, no insane amount of bunny track parts, etc); noobs are lured by spam maps and get tired and eventually leave if the game is too hard for them.
You may lose many potential troublemaker, but you gain a few good players to being with, who will make the difference in the long term.

I know every admin would like the best for his/her server, but you can't fix everything on your own, and you have to step back if needed, or you'll end up being burned out.

Make the server the way you'd like it to be, don't listen to everyone's opinion, it's like the dog biting his own tail, it will lead to nowhere.

One more thing, be careful when making girls your co-admins, they get tired even faster than guys and can change their mind (and server and game) pretty fast, not to mention the potential catfights that may occur (not being a hater, just stating facts).

Wishing you good luck.
Plain Old Telephone Service