Bot pathing

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
EvilGrins
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Bot pathing

Post by EvilGrins » Thu May 24, 2012 10:45 pm

For just a moment assume I know nothing about bot pathing, not a bloody thing, and explain it to me in simplest terms.

A basic question, does it need to be all over the place or can you trace a simple path that the bots can freely meander from if they so "choose".

I'm trying to add it to a map I love that the creator of put absolute none in.

Nelsona

Re: Bot pathing

Post by Nelsona » Thu May 24, 2012 11:53 pm

Hi EG, simple map = simple paths = some action.

I didn't remeber to see any map coming with UT by default and done by Epic to not have paths. Our mappers think they do maps, first of all if Epic didn't messed one means they did maps like other guys mappers as well. The rest, are just cube drawers and nothing related to A.I. Side(s), of course you read well, even monsters can follow paths to reach at certain destination not only Bots (but not really all monsters).

Want a small guide to learn these things ? I guess cannot be more simple than looking at some default Epic Maps, how are placed pathnodes (some apples). I personally can do bot pathing (monster pathing) prety well in simple maps with all things learned from defaults not really tutorials. Indeed, for MH paths need to be very well done or else a bot won't go anywhere. Red bad paths and/or paths placed in air won't inspire bot to travel. In common UT games sometimes even a red path can be a way for Bots, not really in MH (depends on map).

Last time I worked at this Bot Support in MH to extend a few parameters. I think could be better by default, I did improvements and I'm thinking what I missed. Now I play my reworked MH not default.

Remider: Once added pathnodes rebuild network paths in editor or else bad things might happen when you try to play map.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Fri May 25, 2012 3:45 pm

Does bot pathing effect the monsters? I'd prefer the monsters to continue as they normally do without following any bot paths I put into the game.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Fri May 25, 2012 4:00 pm

EvilGrins wrote:Does bot pathing effect the monsters? I'd prefer the monsters to continue as they normally do without following any bot paths I put into the game.
Might affect or not depending on classes. If they are busy to fight each-other, only last monsters with normal size can follow paths to reach at you.

Personal question: Are you affraid of monsters ?
I have some modified map where you are under monster attack based on pathing (monster pathing). I cannot see where is the problem. They can kill you or me or anybody. So what ? Computer will fall from table ? I don't think so. You are about to really lose the taste of battle. Nasty monsters hunting players, you haven't seen this yet, :P ? I don't add it On-Line, I'm using it on testing purposes.

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Wed May 30, 2012 10:42 pm

Once you get the hang of it - bot pathing is pretty easy.
I think I got tutes for it also. :wink:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Thu May 31, 2012 10:43 am

Nelsona wrote:Personal question: Are you affraid of monsters?
Only the one under my bed. :wink:

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:16 pm

Yeah, if a few people are full of selfish to map for only certain places messing up with an assumed MH, I think might be a solution with another dumb ideea (since a lot of people think are cool releasing garbage continuously), just to mess up a bit collectors. Let say, in certain moment only a Bot might unlock something or else map will break. Cough, player cannot enter, only Kira will continue action. With a few messed strings map can be altered to not to be edited (assumed fixed, :P). So, if MH mapping means mapping only for a mod X or Y, I think I can put up a crap playable only with level 2 A.I. (involving even some Berserkers which aren't friendly with themselves and might mess up as well :D).

But I think I have some dignity to not slap a bad lesson because isn't nice. Selfish attitude must be forgotten because won't bring anything good to anyone. Exist solutions a lot to split things.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:29 pm

Another fact good to know maybe, or not. In MonsterHunt, a Bot can use UT_JumpBoots to reach a desired destination if these Items are placed nearest that jumpy area. Actually passing through such inventory forcing it to collect this item, will deliver later a good jump guided in specific style (no fail).

Big hurry ? They start racing before to be broadcasted mission parameters ? Is a bit out of logic ? They need "a kind of read messages" to know what is about ? This Player attitude can be granted with a BlockedPath unlocked later after broadcasting mission messages, so Bot will wait nice with player without starting to early.

Other questions ?

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Nelsona wrote:Other questions ?
Just a basic one. I've seen some tutorials but they didn't have visuals.

On UnrealEd, where in all the options is the bot pathing utility located?

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:21 pm

It is best Not to use the built in bot pathing in U-Ed - place the bot paths manually.
They are called pathnodes (under actors/navigation) - they look like little apples (in the editor) when you place them in a map.
I thought I had some pretty good tutorials on this - both here at Hermskii's and at HUTP. :?
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:58 am

Well, yeah. I intend to setup my own. Just needed to know what to use.
Hook wrote:I thought I had some pretty good tutorials on this - both here at Hermskii's and at HUTP. :?
Where specifically? LINK ME!

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:52 am

I don't know links because I'm pathing manually (I used once automatic pathnoding feature from editor and paths were added even in lava zones - crap - a hole crap), so I quited using it. I prefer to add pathnodes as I consider, only manually.

Let me tell you an example:

Exist a MH map named MH-TrueYoshis. I just wanted to test my skills in pathing because my mod has Bot Support (even more enhanced than original MH), just for curiosity. I pathed map as I considered for my fun with 3 Bots. Map contains in a moment 2 zones which needs a minimum of jump skills. I didn't modified anything in geometry, I just added paths and UT_JumpBoots in desired locations, and Bots finished map more times without a trouble.

Of course, I had more such maps but I simply deleted them (HDD space issues) once studied Bot behavior for that geometry. If you believe me or not, A.I. pathing is awsome, is like a drug if you learn it. Is easier to leave smoking than to quit A.I. pathing.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:08 am

You can take a look here:
Paths00.JPG
Another less good path but works in this case:
Paths01.JPG
Here is another trick to pass:
Paths02.JPG
And I have even more examples but depends on attach file(s) size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:36 am

And to setting up an objective for MH Bot there is one of them here:
Paths03.JPG
Is named MonsterWaypoint in this case is the third objective to be visited by Bot.
As you can see I placed this right in path to be found easier. In original MH I tested using FreeLance and Attack for my reworked MH.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:09 pm

So the apples are the actual path and the assumed paths are where the bots may wander along the way, like to power items and other pickups.