Dark Forest edit

Posts about what EvilGrins has been or is up to!
EvilGrins
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Dark Forest edit

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:55 pm

This is the version I started out with.
http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Ma ... EST-V4.zip

There are clear objectives but a lot not mentioned. I had to go in UnrealEd to figure out where the end of the map was, and once I discovered that I can assure anyone there's no indication anywhere on the map that's where it is.

One of many little things I decided to change.

Started editing without permission, have since gotten THUNDERBOLT's blessing. Technically need Hitman's too but he's hard to find; the map was a co-venture between them.

I like to do credit.

Map has no bot pathing, and I'm not inclined to add any. Bots will follow players easily enough, and that works fine as they should be support for the most part.

I included TeamMonsters, which I had to juggle around a bit, as they kept fighting each other:

Finally settled on SkaarjOfficers as once they've got a gun in hand they might as well be bots:

Swapped weapons out of the map, as some had conflict as they kept appearing on the same numbers, for weapons that all had different numbers... including the ones the Red Team Thugs (TeamMonsterSkaarj) were carrying...

...and a few others.

Still working on music selections and better intro messages.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Re: Dark Forest edit

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:26 am

Hitman should be easy to reach. he has a section here called UM. He will answer stuff there.
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Hermskii wrote:Hitman should be easy to reach. he has a section here called UM. He will answer stuff there.
According to his bio he hasn't logged in here since September. I may try UM itself, now that it's not glitching anymore.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:25 pm

I fixed one of their server listing s the other day. They change their servers often and it is hard to keep up. Real hard if they all change in one day like what happened this time. If you ever get desperate to speak to Hitman let me know. I have several direct lines to him and we have a healthy respect for each other making it a pretty awesome UT relationship! I don't have a section here for him for nothing!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hitman

Post by Hitman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:30 pm

Hey ho here I am guys 8)
Well that map was given to me by Thunderbolt from some dead project and had no monsters on it, so I added
some and that's it.

Well all maps,stuff,mutators and other kinds of UT-Stuff I am/was involved in is free to use/edit for all since all Stuff was made in UnrealEditor that belongs to Epic and no one else :) so go for it.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:35 pm

Hitman wrote:Well all maps,stuff,mutators and other kinds of UT-Stuff I am/was involved in is free to use/edit for all since all Stuff was made in UnrealEditor that belongs to Epic and no one else :) so go for it.
Yay!

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:50 pm

And thank you sir for jumping in and responding. I didn't even have to hunt you down or anything. Wait! EG contacted you and linked here didn't he! Good either way!

By the way, your #1 hunter on your MH server is UM Sunburn. He ismy son AKA HermskiiJr (Age=9)
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:33 am

Good then, I'll download it and I'll see what it contains, else I'll toy a bit with pathing. If has BSP problems or other reason for abandon then I'll leave it.

Hitman

Post by Hitman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:26 am

Try it first, we had for 1 year now and its good to right of and is a hard map, i did 2 versions of it tho, second even harder with exploding Warlords for my NW3 server.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:43 pm

Hitman wrote:Try it first, we had for 1 year now and its good to right of and is a hard map, i did 2 versions of it tho, second even harder with exploding Warlords for my NW3 server.
Exploding Warlords rarely get close during my practice runs, I tend to kill them in droves with the closter bomber that is Deemer Fireworks!
Nelsona wrote:Good then, I'll download it and I'll see what it contains, else I'll toy a bit with pathing. If has BSP problems or other reason for abandon then I'll leave it.
No real BSP errors, that I've seen. It's sometimes a bit of a memory drain when excessive monsters attack in bulk. Big reason I put TeamMonsters on the map, to take that action off of the players while they fight them in distant corners of the map...

...the TMs don't kill too many of them but they keep them occupied.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:50 pm

Intro messages, as well as messages that occur as you proceed further into the game, are these blue squares:
Event moments, monster ones, are set to these. The initial ones seem to have a separate proximity detector, they don't start until you get close to the door inside the cabin, that kicks them off... and others at different stages of the map.

Given the map I'm editing has no way to tell, without peeking in UnrealEd, where the exit is, I'm currently trying to come up with slightly altered intro messages that include that detail up front.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:09 pm

My turn... deep breath. I modified all wrong returns related to movers, corected a bit Messages, and ... let's say Bot Support (huge area requiring too many nodes). Essential paths were done - They Can Finish Map, you know where is placed THE END. If they are engajed in battle too far from paths might remain lost in the forest but if are closer enough they recover hunting. For this chapter guess where was the challenge. I'll answer:
1) Setup paths for human - I must find path first before Loque;
2) Setup a methodology to convice A.I. at a few stunts (Red Mountain, Last Area).

Point 1) solved. Point 2) Let's say is solved, I'm not sure how they want to act in default MonsterHunt (I need to check). At red mountain was necessary a small thing in MyLevel to whisper at Bot what exactly need to try to reach at teleporter. Heavily they made it. Is hard to convice A.I. to follow a nasty way since they don't fly or play BT. That Big Head was not so hard - at second attempt I found path to end.

Graphic side ? Too much direct view, is decreasing FPS at a moment - I'm not sure if I'll keep this for my fun. I think on other old PC won't be very playable.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Nelsona wrote:They Can Finish Map, you know where is placed THE END.
Highly doubt they can, given where it is.

I'd kimnda preferred if you were gonna do that you waited until I finished my edit, so you could do all that to it. Still, now you've got your edit... when are you going to release it?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:42 pm

This is exciting because I have things I want done to certain maps and I think I now have the two twin-tinkerers ready to show me what they can do!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:35 am

EvilGrins wrote:
Nelsona wrote:They Can Finish Map, you know where is placed THE END.
Highly doubt they can, given where it is.
Meh, I don't expect to see such kinda pathing anywhere, and... SOLVED - read again - MAP ENDED BY ARACHNE, and that was easy. The nasty thing was Red-Mountain entrance. There might see them trying and retrying but I'm guessing 3/5 Bots can pass, I used 8 Bots to compensate one or two lost in the forest, and then last area has been traveled. I tested in default MH too (more hard without tunes - it lacks in ammo).
Public release ? Not sure. Probably in private in purpose to learn insane pathing - you can call it pathing-school-map.
What I did at entrance ? - without kicker this time. We can speak about small monster things rented by Bot in "Pawn Pathing" or "Bot Pathing".