The BUF (Beyond Unreal Forum) "Off Topic" section review!

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: The BUF (Beyond Unreal Forum) "Off Topic" section review

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:34 pm

a nameless entity wrote: I saw no outright madness in the discussion on that page. Which was almost a pleasant surprise, considering the descent from civility I had seen over there in the past on a couple of subjects under "discussion" previously.
[bold and italics added to the word "that" in the above quote]

I did not see the viscious posts you mention over there. Most likely because I only go to the pages you link to, and not necessarily every time. I usually just give that place a pass.

I have been suggesting that you avoid that place for quite some time. If those guys upset you as much as they seem to do, then I once again most respectfully suggest that you avoid them. Ignore any curiosity or fascination with how low they can go. You already know.

All you do is welcome negative energy into your life when you go there, and no one needs that.

By all means pray for whomever you like, but don't check to see how it's working. As I said, a discovery that you got an answer you didn't prefer can be upsetting.
I got a lesson in being more accepting of what I cannot change, and that I don't have access to the bigger picture, in regards to why the answer was not what I had hoped for.
I guess that's why they call it faith. So pray, and have faith, my friend.
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:02 am

I DID see that viscous and very nasty post you mentioned about over there at Beyond Unreal.
WOW!!! - Things haven't changed over there even since it was called Nali ... er whatever it was called before BU
They used to be quite nasty over there years ago too, and that is why I deemed that place to be a bad and unprofessional place many years ago.
I never went back, and I suggest other good people should not go there either!!! :wink:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Nelsona
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Post by Nelsona » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:29 am

I'm not hiding by saying nothing. A couple of years ago it was debate at PMH (old PlanetMonsterHunt) about Bot Pathing chapter. War_Master informed people about some discussion at BU and in other place which I currently forgot where mappers were encouraged to not put paths in maps because game will be HARDER (I thought was a joke - but was not) in all place were used regens and craps but game was hard :roll: . In simple terms people were triggered to not learn A.I. stuff. In a few months resulted a mountain of garbage called MH maps. And here it is - only dumb and retarded stuff done. I'm disgusted and very very not interested about that place where people suddenly talk politics and UT has flew on window, to not mention some "new blood" at Wiki which wants to look good and experimented but in fact is just a cheap circus goofing around bad settings.

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:15 pm

Well, as I said, the Nasty stuff started happening many years ago - that is when I left Nali City, at least until they quit that Nasty Flaming stuff there, but it had and has not, so I am still not going there all these years! :wink:
FYI - I think that Nali City was the second site I was a member at - the first being another site hosted by File Planet called *arg will fill in when I remember *
Then I think Hermskii came into the picture shortly after those 2 sites, for me. :D

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Okay, Sir, then let me post other facts. I was looking over DM stuff at Skillz starting in reverse. I was downloading small maps (big maps are from 2006 2009 and the most of them are retarded). The surprise was to see many of them mentioning Nali City - far from what I was looking for. Some of them totally annoyed me, looks like was a mess that place. I don't know if that place is still alive or not because stuff describing that location did not make me happy at all. Probably name is relevant, who is Nali in games ? A kind of loser... and that's explains a lot. Maps there did not include zones, bad pathed, Hom textures effects (claimed nice by author - no kidding), others really nonsenses. In others I found pictures with some family (uninteresting - maybe that wife was the only good thing there :P ) and having PathNodes half buried into the ground to not speak about some of them at distance 1100 1500 UU non-linked at all. This was UT in that time ? I'm not surprised why admins in this area were quit hosting servers - we don't need fake gaming. And then I drew conclusions, MH dumb style is like an innocent kid comparing with that stuff supposed for competitions.

Of course I found one by a romanian guy - a dumb one too speaking about pathing toward deal with geometry - He mentioned to send an e-mail in case of finding bugs. I never bothered to speak with him - map did not include bugs, map IS A BUG...

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:15 pm

Okay, what I am hearing here is that the once great website Nalicity, has been morphed into the BUF forum? Well I think not. Clearly just the name has been hijacked.

Nali City was a place that posted new maps by mappers, and often reviewed them. It had a lovely home page, with the "map of the month" in a window where you could go straight to the review, or download.
In the beginning all maps were rated, and the really nice ones got a review and recommendation to download. So it was handy to have a rating as you didn't want to bother downloading a bad map, especially if you were on 56k.

Eventually Hermskii and I split the task of downloading and testing all 7/10 maps and higher for playability on CG. It was hard to guess what would be popular sometimes. I held onto one map called DM-Venus for the longest time, (years) then submitted it along with a few other of my personal favourites. To my surprise Venus proved to be a hit with players.
When Nali City faded away and then got shut down it was a loss for the entire UT community.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:26 pm

The other thing about nali city and MonsterHunt maps was that for a very long time there were only about 20 good mh maps and all of the rest were pure crap. MH maps are the hardest to make I think. I suspect you saw lots of the original crap maps from back then but one MH took off and became popular and one there were more than well say 20 servers some good mappers showed up and got busy making good maps. To date I suspect the odds are still at 80% as to the chances of finding a mh map and it being crap. Luckily they made tons of them and that other 20% are pretty awesome!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:40 pm

By the way let's not hijack this topic. I want this thread to stay all BUF stuff.

I'll go ahead and start up a Nali City topic and we can take it there.

Here you go:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3757
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:08 pm

https://forums.beyondunreal.com/threads ... ng.203696/

This reminds me of a what happens when a pond full of piranha run out of other fish to eat.

"You hear that Mr. Anderson?... That is the sound of inevitability"
~Peace~

Hermskii

KellyD

Post by KellyD » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:06 am

I'm not interested in the politics of the place but I am interested in keeping the game going if I can help do that. I've offered the server and gotten no takers to run an event. They just seem to want to squabble but no one wants to do the real work of organizing and running an event.

Brizz is a fantastic guy but they've let the inmates run things for too long and the quality people just quit going to the place. All that's left is the Off-Topic crew and they just don't contribute anything besides trying to one-up each other with nastier and more irrelevant posting.

A solid admin and a revision of what the place is for could possibly save it but they'd need to seriously curtail the current posting style. I don't care how good your forum is, if I check new posts and 4 out of 5 is unintelligible crud then I'm not going to bother reading the one relevant post.

I really loved the place back in the day. This saddens me quite a lot.
Retired. Please email to contact.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:34 pm

I agree about Brizz. I was going to point that out about you and him being the only good things about that entire post.

I find it hysterical that they blame the demise of posting in the "Off Topic" section on the slow down of UT. This "Off Topic" section isn't for UT. The entire rest of that forum is for UT. The demise of posting in the "Off Topic" forum is due to the hit squad who remain there to waiting to pounce on anything that moves. I warned Brizz a long time ago about what would happen if he didn't start managing the hit squad team who attack but he ignored me. Red leader standing by, Gold leader standing by. I was one of the last fish in that pond but I'm done there now. I had no doubt they'd start nibbling on each other and behold they have.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:26 pm

Hermskii wrote:I had no doubt they'd start nibbling on each other and behold they have.
Hermskii wrote:I was one of the last fish in that pond but I'm done there now.
So does this mean that at long last you will be letting this thread sink to the bottom of the heap?

(hopefully to never be seen again?) :|

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:51 am

No. As I mentioned before I will post stuff here that I see there if I think the material warrants it. Ignoring stuff doesn't make it go away. I also want the light to shine on these these folks so people can safely see from a distance what their opinions are and how they react to others who share differing opinions. nobody goes there anymore with an opinion because if it differs from the hit-squad then they get mauled. That is fair enough but when the rules get broken too in regards to proper forum and debate management then someone should blow that whistle.

Keep in mind too that on more than one occasion some folks there have actually logged in as admins and altered what I have posted there and other admins refused to correct the issue when I brought it to their attention. What I post here about what they posted there won't be manipulated to falsely reflect what was actually posted by me or anyone else.

I don't expect to post here often as they are surely slowing down over there so there won't be much to talk about. I'm betting soon that they will post here or there or both about this forum in order to try to keep themselves from being so bored and chomping on each other much more.

Brizz and Kelly are about the only 2 conservative opinions left over there and Brizz is a founder there I think so he has no choice but to stay and put up with it all basically. Kelly is his own man with his own opinion and his own agenda. Both of them have made me proud in their posts defending their opinions against the hit-squad over there. Sadly Brizz is one of the admins over there that allowed my post to be modified and did nothing about it when I brought it to his attention. That' where he loses points with me.

Can anyone here imagine if someone here changed what you posted here and when you asked me to fix it I refused to do it? Can you imagine me letting someone stay a member here if they were to ask another member to go kill themselves because the other member had an opposing political view? Can you imagine me letting someone post that they hope another member here dies in order to stop having to read their posts? Can you imagine any forum letting this stuff go? these and more are regular request of the hit-squad over at the "BUF Off Topic Forum"

So short answer is no. I will continue to post stuff here about what I see there but I'll be fair at least in that if I do it won't be modified except in the case to meet the rules and standards of posting here.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook

Post by Hook » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:02 am

Yes, good job, and carry on! :wink:

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:36 pm

I disagree!

I repeat once again that these guys exude nothing but negative energy, so for one's own safety and well being one should avoid them at all costs, all of the time.