Society

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
David
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Society

Post by David » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:45 pm

I saw and read this article. It is titled "Top Marine general removed after being investigated over use of a racial slur"
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/to ... li=BBnbfcL

I read the article and just shake my head about how this younger generation is soft, yes even the devil dogs are softer than melted butter now. I do not believe the use of racial slurs (I have been raised better by my family), but the way this incident took place and the outcome was not proper. This music blasting on speakers should not be allowed to be played and when the marines were questioned about it and were offended that the General asked about the use of the word, they need to suck it up. It did not hurt your ears when you heard it on the radio, but when someone white says it, then it is racists. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. If the marines were offended because the General asked about the word, then can you imagine how the young people of the military would react to a Sgt. Ermey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHxf17yJsKs

You know I have friends who are currently in the military and none of them are this soft.

Here is a good video about commonsense on being offended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceS_jkKjIgo
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

EvilGrins
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Re: Society

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:11 pm

David wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:45 pm
then it is racists
Think you meant "racist". What you used tends to refer to people, while simply being is the singular.

The goose/gander thing isn't a good analogy for this sorta thing. Black Folks using the N-word, usually ending in "ga" instead of "er", is considered okay in much the same way that "queer" was retaken by the LGBT. Both are words that were used to bring people down, used to smear and target them... but when the victims turned it around and embraced it for their own use it took some of the power away from those that tried to use it for abuse.

However, it is still racist/bigoted when those who are not the ones initially targeted are using it to attack... and while I don't think the general should've been punished for it, he should've known better and not used it.
David wrote:
Here is a good video about commonsense on being offended.
While funny, no it wasn't.
David wrote:
I have friends who are currently in the military and none of them are this soft.
As do I, but none of them would use that word.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:49 pm

A no-win scenario. The military needs to lock the music down that uses that term. They should bust people for playing it. I think the n-Word should be considered hate speech no matter who says it...

or,,,or...

everyone should be able to say it at any time and nobody should ever get in trouble for doing so.

This should not be able to be both ways.
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:16 pm

Hermskii wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:49 pm
A no-win scenario. The military needs to lock the music down that uses that term. They should bust people for playing it. I think the n-Word should be considered hate speech no matter who says it...

or,,,or...

everyone should be able to say it at any time and nobody should ever get in trouble for doing so.

I agree 100%. Concerning the General, I think removing him from his post was too harsh unless there was a pattern or history of the same behavior.

David

Post by David » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:16 pm

In today's society, people stick their hands in a fire and blame the fire for getting burned. It is stupid as hell. There are consequences for your actions and it should work for all sides. I just shake my head at the people who are involved in today's events and then the politicians who try to make excuses for inexcusable acts. Anyways..

David

Post by David » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:47 pm

I came across this on a Friend's page. I know it is titled "British TV newsman loses it during story on diversity & Little House on the Prairie, hilarious", he is not a newsman but a comedian Tom Walker. "Jonathan Pie is a fictional character created and portrayed by English comedian Tom Walker. A political correspondent, Pie appears in a series of online videos in which he rants and explodes in anger about the state of British, American and Australian politics,[1][2][3] with the videos being presented as though he were a real reporter speaking his personal opinions to the camera before or after filming a regular news segment."
https://youtu.be/0bjcCwWnUsE

I can relate to what he is saying and for me rings in some truth.

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:37 am

This is more a reply to the earlier part of this thread David but I just now saw it. I served in the Army during the first Desert Storm so my perspective is from someone who has seen it firsthand.

My guess is there is more to the story than is being reported. When I served racism was rampant within the military. It was common for people to racial self-segregate by choice and that would be strengthened by NCO's allowing it to happen. I saw countless instances of racial bias and it was just understood that it was how things were. This general getting called out probably served as a warning to everyone that it won't be tolerated any longer. At least I hope so. What I saw was a systemic behavior that was going to take real work to fix (or even improve on).
When everyone you ever known is headed for a headstone
I don’t wanna give the end away but we’re gonna die one day

David

Post by David » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:47 am

I agree with you Kelly about the environment and self-segregation. But I believe that white-on-black racism is only a part of it but yet some of society only focuses on the white being the perpetrator of all racism. There is plenty of other racism involving black on white, black on Asian, and so forth. People have always self-segregated throughout history but it is not always based on race. They collect together people that are similar to themselves.

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:22 am

First off I hate cancel culture and everything it represents so don't get my reply wrong. I tend to lean pretty conservative.

I'm 52. I'm old enough to remember as a kid when all the black families lived in a small section of my town. I wasn't quite old enough to see segregation at places like the local soda shop but the echoes of that were clearly there. I watched all that slowly dissipate over the years and my town became better for it. Within a generation it fundamentally improved and as a young mailman I found myself delivering to black families all over town. They moved out of 'their' area and into wherever they wanted (as it should be).

How did this happen? Well society went to the people in power and changed the rules. Historically with few exceptions the western world is ran by white men. That's slowly changing too but it still persists even now. You want to fundamentally change anything you almost certainly are going to be talking to an older white guy. They hold the authority. Like anyone in power they don't want to cede any of it so there are way more charges of racism against white men than any other group simply because they hold power way more than any other group. It's pretty simple.

Honestly seeing the mountain of these accusations versus other racial groups only reinforces the obvious need for change. It won't be pretty and there will be trouble but it's going to happen.

BTW just as a caveat let me toss this in...This was before Covid so maybe a year and a half? I saw a homeless guy on my route panhandling at our local WalMart. NBD, it's nearly a constant but I was surprised at what I saw next. There was a group of older teens coming towards him on the sidewalk. I thought "Ugh, this might not go well." I know how guys can be in groups but I couldn't have been more wrong. They stopped and talked with the homeless guy. I saw a couple of them give him money and they treated him with respect. They didn't judge him. It was over with in a moment and they moved on towards WallyWorld, immediately going back to carrying on like guys do. They didn't think what they did was special in any way. Younger kids don't carry those preconceptions we do. I'd have never spoken to a homeless dude as a teen but these kids learn early not to be so judgy and harsh over social and racial strata.

Yeah dude, big changes are coming for society and I hope we are better for it.
When everyone you ever known is headed for a headstone
I don’t wanna give the end away but we’re gonna die one day

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:06 am

Hermskii wrote:
I'm of the mind that there's a variation being overlooked here, given Black Folks typically use it ending in "ga" and most who use it in a bigoted/racist manner use it ending in "ger". Also, one could make the argument that Black Folks using any variation of the word is okay for them (I don't but that's just me) in the same manner the LGBTQ took the insult "queer" used on them and embraced it as a positive term among themselves.
Hermskii wrote:
No, that's a horrible idea. Most of those who use it that are not Black Folks use it as a weapon and under no circumstances should that ever be acceptable.
Hermskii wrote:
Those using it as a term within their community not to be insulting is in no way the same as those who use it as an insult and an attempt to bring a people down.
David wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:47 am
I agree with you Kelly about the environment and self-segregation. But I believe that white-on-black racism is only a part of it but yet some of society only focuses on the white being the perpetrator of all racism.
You can blame dictionaries for that. Racism is defined as hatred based on race from the majority to the minority.

They even defined racial hatred of minorities to the majority as being "reverse racism".

It's all racism, no matter who hates based on race.