New Modem

Post all House of Hermskii {HOH} Website and Forum related content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

New Modem

Post by Hermskii » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:45 pm

My modem started crapping out a couple of weeks ago. I didn't realize how bad it was until I got the new one today and my kids are all happy now saying they have no lag anymore when they play their online games. I presume it helped people playing the HOH servers too. I hope so anyways.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Re: New Modem

Post by Hook » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:22 pm

Hermskii wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:45 pm
My modem started crapping out a couple of weeks ago. I didn't realize how bad it was until I got the new one today and my kids are all happy now saying they have no lag anymore when they play their online games. I presume it helped people playing the HOH servers too. I hope so anyways.
I bet it did!
We got a new modem a few years ago, and it seemed to make a difference to the better! :wink:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:22 pm

Odd.

I found my servers weren't showing and sure enough I had to re-do all the firewall rules. I did so and then I could see my servers again on GAMETRACKER but when I look on the main lists for servers in UT, I don't see any of my servers. UTcheck sees them, Game Tracker sees them but UT game servers don't. I'm confused. I knew something was wrong when I saw not one of my servers maps changed today.

Can any of you see my servers online? I wonder if I didn't set the advertise port properly but everything else is right? That would explain it I think.
~Peace~

Hermskii

medor

Post by medor » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:11 am

Hermskii wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:45 pm
May be a set dns here for better time.

search the beast one https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

or easy just use the CloudFlare DNS ipv4 https://blog.cloudflare.com/announcing-1111/
DNS 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:25 pm

Thanks medor.

Right after I posted that last night, I checked again and then it was showing up. Like I said: ODD.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:35 pm

Always worth using DNSBench to find the fastest resolvers for your location that will always help with lag.
Worth right-clicking on the list of DNS and enabling test for DNSSec. They are more secure DNS.

Your router may let you set preferred DNS in it, that way any devices connected using automatic DNS will use what the router is using.
If I am not using DNSCrypt I generally opt for Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 as primary and Quad9 9.9.9.9 as secondary.
Quad9 does try to filter bad domains, so you may prefer it as primary.

As long as 333networks can see you, then you are uplinking correctly to epic or 333NW
http://333networks.com/s/ut/all?q=Hermskii

For game servers that make use of a separate redirect for files, it can be worth disabling Nagles algorithm in Windows.
Nagles algorithm is a way of getting faster throughput at the expense of response time. It waits till the buffer is full before sending instead of sending data as it appears.
https://www.speedguide.net/articles/gaming-tweaks-5812
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]